Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Captcha`s

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

Can anybody tell me why captcha`s are so fuzzed  and unreadable ?

Some of the words and letters are so messed up and distorted that I simply cannot read them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

They are often meant to be like that. Sometimes you get harder ones if you have disabled javascript.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:19 PM

Because computers are getting better at defeating the Turing test. They are making the"Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart" more difficult. Thus it becomes more difficult for humans as well.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

Some images that relate to the issue which might make you smile, be warned there is swearing on the first one. Also be sure to check the "mouse-over" text.

http://xkcd.com/810/
http://xkcd.com/632/

There is a move these days towards trying a different method than CAPTCHAs. Google has begun offering a simple tick box "I am a human" but what it does is monitor your mouse movements in the few seconds before you tick it. An automated system would not "move a mouse" it would just tick the box instantly, a human will have the mouse jitter around a little and move at an uneven rate from whereever it was when the person spotted the tick box until the moment they tick it.

Logic ones are alos used, they are not bad in comparison and often just use a little general knowledge or 10 seconds googligo a keyword for what the question is about. They often occur on forum signup pages and the topic of the questions (they have a list of several that they randomly cycle through) is often related to the topic of the forum.

Edited by rp88, 28 December 2014 - 03:30 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

They are basically there to show that only a person could read them.

But, I do agree that some are just about unreadable in certain cases.

Others have logics like 4 + 5 = ? or I have been doing a lot of McAfee work, and they use 4 simple letters, all set on angles but the background is set so that spammers can not just Copy / Paste in the answer box. I found these very easy to work with, when compared to some of the 2 word totally fuzzed versions.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

I've also observed an increase of an audio option for many of the more difficult ones.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

http://xkcd.com/810/
http://xkcd.com/632/

I don't get the second comic... it reveals that "Lisa" is a spambot, but how?

#8 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

Thank you for all those very instructive comments. It seems to make the matter worse.

Many of the captcha`s I have tried are really weird. Some I get right and some I give up at. I even tried  this in despiration, but it never helped :- 

http://byjov.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/how-to-cheat-captcha.html

Are they looking for members with a Masters Degree in Cryptology ?

Edited by Beaker77, 28 December 2014 - 04:18 PM.

#9 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

I have always had trouble with captcha`s. I decided to ask the members here about captcha`s due to my trying to search a site where they had a captcha to solve before you could go ahead. It was just a Forum actually.

I must have brought up a good 12 captcha`s and could not read any of them. If humans cannot read them, robots don`t stand a chance.

Here is just one  example that defeated me :-

I give up !

ihNVjNy.jpg

#10 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

Interesting information from all. Thank you. 

Those are tough!  

My guesses are: 

TurTuit and rdn9mm  I can read the 2nd one a bit better than the 1st one I think : )

#11 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:00 AM

Interesting information from all. Thank you. 

Those are tough!  

My guesses are: 

TurTuit and rdn9mm  I can read the 2nd one a bit better than the 1st one I think : )

Well, I have met several sites with stuff like this to solve before I can proceed. They were all like the example I gave.

Quite honestly Stolen, they may have well put Chinese symbols. If security is so delicate that unreadable captions are needed to pass the test, then where  are we all going ?  No wonder my avatar looks like he does, so did I trying to solve the impossible.

I am not trying to access Fort Knox or the Pentagon, just a humdrum site on the web.

Edited by Beaker77, 29 December 2014 - 08:03 AM.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,284 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

Then an option would be to contact the site. Let them know that their captcha generator is too excessive and preventing actual human registrants. Any site worth bothering with will offer support and an alternative. If they ignore you, do you really want to be bothered trying to log in? A site that uses captcha and wants members should want to resolve an issue causing loss of potential registrants.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

Then an option would be to contact the site. Let them know that their captcha generator is too excessive and preventing actual human registrants. Any site worth bothering with will offer support and an alternative. If they ignore you, do you really want to be bothered trying to log in? A site that uses captcha and wants members should want to resolve an issue causing loss of potential registrants.

That is really  excellent advice.

Can the captcha software used by sites be regulated between the impossible and the obvious ?

It sounds like something that the site webmaster or Admin should be aware of as normal monitoring and control procedure.

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

"contact the site. Let them know that their captcha generator is too excessive"

But doing this will require (or atleast usually does) filling in a CAPTCHA at the bottom of the contact form. Many people have probably tried to warn the site in question of this problem before, but for the same reason that few website owners ever learn of any errors in their "report a bug" page...

Edited by rp88, 29 December 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#15 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

@ Animal

I suppose you as Site Admin  can answer this question best.

As the captcha is an anti-spammer device, I have often wondered what kind of damage the spammers do when they gain access to a site. I honestly have no idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users