Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to run chkdsk on unbootable pc running xp home

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 apf1969

apf1969

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

my pc turned off during a power cut, whilst rebooting we had another power cut and now the pc wont boot up. ive followed a few suggestions on this forum getting as far as creating a bootable disc but when i go to run chkdsk /r I get a message saying-  

"STOP: c0000139 {ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND}

The procedure entry point LdrSetMUICacheType could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll."

ive run a seatools for DOS iso that i downloaded but unsure what this was telling me

Anthony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

I suspect that you have corrupt files as a result of the hard shutdowns.

If you have the installation disc do a Repair Installation.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below.  

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press  R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.   If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 apf1969

apf1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

I got a recovery cd for xp but its not my original. I ran it but had no option to repair just format saying i'd lose all data in my c drive.
I'd rather not lose everything but if thats the last resort i will take it.
Will i need all the drivers re installing if i format?
I dont have the key code for the recovery disc i have so do you know if this will work by overwriting or do i need a fresh disc with code

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

1.  I got a recovery cd for xp but its not my original.

2.  I'd rather not lose everything but if thats the last resort i will take it.

3.  Will i need all the drivers re installing if i format?

4.  I dont have the key code for the recovery disc i have so do you know if this will work by overwriting or do i need a fresh disc with code

1.  What do you mean it's not my original?  Is it a different version (Home, Pro., etc)?  Is this an installation disc or a recovery disc?

2.  This is why I suggested a repair installation, this should not effect your data.

3.  If you format the hdd you will lose everything on it.  So yes, you will need to download and install all of the drivers.

4.  There should be a twenty five character alphnumerical code on a sticker some place on this computer if it is a Original Equipment Manufacturer computer.  Like a Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, etc.

What is the make and model of this computer? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 apf1969

apf1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

Its a recovery disc i got off a work colleague from an old pc he had. He doesnt know his original code. I have a sticker on my pc with my original code from my installation

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:35 AM

You are going to need an installation disc to do the repair installation.  You will not need the product key to perform a repair installation as this actually is not an installation.

What version of XP do you have installed?  XP Home, XP Pro, etc.  Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system?

#7 apf1969

apf1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

Can i use any installation disk?
Im on XP Home. I think its 32bit

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Then you will need the installation disc for XP Home 32-bit.

#9 apf1969

apf1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

I have run the installation disc. It doesnt give me the option to repair just 1. set up
2. Create partition
3. Delete partition

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users