Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have I got my AVG settings right?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

Hi guys, my PC is taking almost 5 minutes to boot up, and people have suggested I might be junked up with malware.

I use AVG and nothing else because the shop told me "It detects viruses AND malware, so you don't need anyhing else."

I leave it on the default settings and run it a couple of times a week, and it always comes up with a "nothing detected" message.

Do these default settings screenshots look right to you?

In particular, should I tick the "Enable thorough scanning" box or leave it blank?

And shall I tick some of the other blank boxes?

And what about the "Active scannng speed" slider, shall I leave it as it is?

(I'm Win 7)

Thanks 

AVG-screen_zps820c9050.jpg

Avg-scrn_zpsbda0ff94.jpg

avg-opts_zpsb928604d.jpg

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 28 December 2014 - 11:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

If your bootup speed is slow, consider disable some unnecessary startup programs. You can use CCleaner from Piriform for that. Consult this section for information if you're not sure which program to disable.

As for the options, it depends on how you surf the web. If you install bundled programs a lot then it's recommended to check the "Report enhanced set of potentially unwanted programs". If you are a safe surfer then it might not be necessary.

Both the Enable thorough scanning and Adjust scanning speed will consume more resources, so changing it also depends on how you use the Internet.

Read this if you have problems: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

Edited by Alexstrasza, 28 December 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,274 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

in your first selection screen i normally check every one of those boxes,

in the second screen i normally select "all file types" and "scan files without extensions"

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

in your first selection screen i normally check every one of those boxes,

in the second screen i normally select "all file types" and "scan files without extensions"

That would slow the computer down a lot more. In my opinion scanning for cookies is not necessary, since they are mostly harmless - and there are tools to disable tracking cookies if it becomes necessary. (FYI, MBAM does not detect cookies)

From what I saw in Mickin's other topic, he does not use archives in general so no need for the Scan inside archives option. If he needs one scanned he can just manually scan it.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,274 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:56 AM

i dont think it would slow the computer down at all.....it will only slow down the scanning time while running a scan

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

Open topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/560886/is-5-minutes-bootup-time-too-long/ , this topic is closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users