Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certain Web Pages Not working on laptop (work fine on other machines)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 yuag

yuag

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

I recently got a new laptop.  I'm not sure if this problem has always existed on it, or if it is new.  However, I am noticing two things:

1.  If I try to go to my bank's web site (www.peoples.com) it will not load.  On Chrome it says ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED, on IE it says "The Page cannot be displayed" and on Firefox the tab spins as if it's loading but the page never comes up.  

2.  If I try to go to Staples Easy Rebates site, I get mixed results.  (URL: https://rebate.staples.com/staples/tracksearch.action).  On Chrome, I believe it errors out but the URL goes in a loop and tries to connect.  If I look at the URL I believe it is trying to redirect to an error page.  On IE I get the same issue.  On Firefox, the page loads.

On other machines, these pages load fine.  Thinking it could potentially be a router issue (bought a new router at a similar time), I brought this laptop to another location and had the same issues.  I've also run Malwarebytes and Anti-virus, etc.  At the moment, I don't suspect it to be that type of issue (but could be wrong).  

I believe the network/internet settings are the original default settings.  I didn't set any custom proxy servers or anything of the sort.  I tried searching the issue before creating this post, but since my problem is unique (at least to the two sites mentioned above) I couldn't find similar situations.  I'm at a loss at the moment as to what could be causing it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:59 AM

Hello, and Welcome

I am not sure this will work as you said you brought the laptop to another location.

Have you tried using different DNS servers? Use OpenDNS. Make a note of what servers if any are listed. You may have yours set to Auto. After changing the DNS to OpenDNS servers, remember to flush the DNS amd Web browser cache.

I am assuming you are using Windows 7.

What is the make and model of the laptop and what is the OS?

#3 yuag

yuag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:57 AM

In the past, I hadn't tried different DNS servers (but I did try flushing the DNS.)  I did try the Open DNS suggestions in your link, and flushed the DNS, and still have the same issue.

The OS is Windows 8.1 and it's a Lenovo Y50 Touch.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

Does the same problem happen when connected wirelessly or using Ethernet?

#5 yuag

yuag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:32 PM

Yes.  I disabled the wifi and plugged directly into the router and have the same results.  

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:32 PM

The only thing I can suggest is to reset your Winsock and TCP/IP. Type CMD in the search box Right Click > Run as Administrator and type the following commands. One other thing to look at is if for some reason the sites that do not load are in your HOSTS file which I doubt. 

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Also look at this page. Try disabling Autotuning.

#7 smithazus

smithazus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:01 AM

Use deafault settings with browser.

#8 yuag

yuag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

Hey guys - Sorry it took me a while to test out everything in the link provided.  I tried as many of the steps as I could and I am still experiencing the problem.  

One thing I wanted to mention, I tried the first set of commands in the link "netsh int ip reset c:\restlog.txt" and it outputs the following 2 failed messages at the bottom.  I wasn't sure if this could be part of the problem or unrelated:

C:\windows\system32>netsh int ip reset C:\Users\yuag\Desktop\Restlog.txt
Resetting Interface, OK!
Resetting Neighbor, OK!
Resetting Path, OK!
Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\windows\system32>

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:00 PM

You get that error because it's Windows 8.1

See this guide.

Also this

Edit: Look in Event Viewer under System. You may find a clue there.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 January 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#10 yuag

yuag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

Following that guide fixed the access denied errors I was seeing (thank you), however I am still having the original problem of not being able to load those certain sites.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:20 PM

I am pretty much out of ideas on this. I think it has something to do with certificates if you cannot get on these https sites.

Can you connect with IE if you clear SSL state?

aWOHP.png

#12 yuag

yuag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

I just tried that now, didn't make a difference.  I'm stumped.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

Does the site work if you add it to trusted sites as shown here?

#14 yuag

yuag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

Today I tried adding it to the trusted sites that did not appear to change anything.

I also found an article that recommended changing the MAC settings on the router, and restarting both router/modem.  (Even though I thought this could be ruled out due to the fact I tried the web site at alternate locations.)  Regardless, it did not make a difference on the laptop.  

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

Another thing to check. Open IE options. Under the Advanced tab, check  use TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2.

7382.image_5F00_489D53E1.png

I am not sure what is going on. Have you tried doing a sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt to check for corrupted system files?

Right click your Ethernet adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line in your next post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 January 2015 - 09:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users