Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex 755 "BOOTMGR Is Missing" error. Need assistance

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sirzune

sirzune

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

I made a dumb mistake:  The computer is running W7 Pro, and had boot problems (without the "BOOTMGR Is Missing" message). There was no hardware change to the computer. Instead of me using something like "Easy Recovery Essentials" to fix the problem (found out later I should have done my homework), I immediately attempted to reinstall W7 Pro.  I guess I wiped out the Windows 7 installed that was there (with the error message about booting) There was no recovery partition on the hard drive, and the original OS was Windows XP (if that is any help; but bought it with W7 Pro installed). I attempted the reinstall twice and gotten errors that the installation could not be completed....".  Now, I get that error message, "BOOTMGR IS Missing" when I turn on the computer.  I didn't get that message before I tried to reinstall the OS, just that Windows could not boot.  Now, when I turn on the computer, that's the message I get each time: "BOOTMGR Is Missing".  Can I please get some help.  It is my granddaugter's computer and she needs it for schoolwork.  It's old, but it worked just great with 4GB of RAM and 3GHGZ speed, 64-Bit.  I am appreciative of any assistance I can get.  Thanks.

Edited by sirzune, 28 December 2014 - 09:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

Try doing a startup repair with the install disk as shown in the steps here. At step 6 you should see your OS listed. It may take up to three tries for startup repair to fix the problem.

#3 sirzune

sirzune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

Try doing a startup repair with the install disk as shown in the steps here. At step 6 you should see your OS listed. It may take up to three tries for startup repair to fix the problem.

I've done all that and more-- still can't install W7 because I still get message: "Windows installation can not be completed..."..something missing files.  I got a clean W7 disc, and still no hope.  It's that dang bootmgr thing, I bet.

Currently trying this:

Using a FULL Win7 Genuine Installation DVD, DO This to drive you want to install Windows 7 on.

Start DVD Installation.

At First Halt, Press (SHIFT + F10) for Command Prompt

Type in Each Command and press ENTER Key as follows:

DiskPart <ENTER>

list disk <ENTER>

select disk X <ENTER> [ X = the number of the Disk you want to install Win 7 on. ]

clean <ENTER>

create partition primary <ENTER>

format fs=ntfs quick <ENTER>

active <ENTER>

exit <ENTER>

exit <ENTER>

Press Ctl + Alt + Del for reboot.

Start DVD Installation Process again.

The problem is with the "Press CTL + ALT + Delete -- it would reboot.  So I just continued with the installation.  Will see what happens this time.

Edited by sirzune, 28 December 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

If you have a clean Windows 7 install disk and do not need any data on the hard drive, I would zero out the drive and start a new install. You can do it with the install disk and command prompt.  Here is a guide explaining the following steps.

At the command prompt type    diskpart

at the diskpart prompt type   list disk

If you have only one hard drive on the computer, it should list it as disk0

Look for the disk you want to install Windows 7 on and make a note of the number

type    select diskX    where X is the number of the disk you will be zeroing out. Make sure you have the correct disk number if you have more than one drive.

type    clean all     this will zero the disk. Depending on the size of the disk it may take awhile. Then start a new install.

If this is an upgrade DVD and not a full install disk you can still install it to a clean hard drive.

When you install Windows 7 it will automaticall partition and format the HDD on the zeroed out drive.

#5 sirzune

sirzune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:55 PM

If you have a clean Windows 7 install disk and do not need any data on the hard drive, I would zero out the drive and start a new install. You can do it with the install disk and command prompt.  Here is a guide explaining the following steps.

At the command prompt type    diskpart

at the diskpart prompt type   list disk

If you have only one hard drive on the computer, it should list it as disk0

Look for the disk you want to install Windows 7 on and make a note of the number

type    select diskX    where X is the number of the disk you will be zeroing out. Make sure you have the correct disk number if you have more than one drive.

type    clean all     this will zero the disk. Depending on the size of the disk it may take awhile. Then start a new install.

If this is an upgrade DVD and not a full install disk you can still install it to a clean hard drive.

When you install Windows 7 it will automaticall partition and format the HDD on the zeroed out drive.

I'm actually in the process of doing that now.  It's been an inordinately long time after doing the "clean all" part.  55 minutes.  Cursor just blinking on line below the last command.  The hard drive is only 150 GB.

Edited by sirzune, 28 December 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

clean all will take a long time depending on the size of the drive. Just let it run. When finished the Diskpart prompt will appear.

Edit: If it does not finish in the next hour then it's possible a hard drive problem. Post back after an hour. It should not take longer than 2 hours for a hard drive that size.

Edit: I noticed your post time. Is the cursor still blinking? Do you see any hard drive activity.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 December 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#7 sirzune

sirzune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:14 PM

clean all will take a long time depending on the size of the drive. Just let it run. When finished the Diskpart prompt will appear.

Edit: If it does not finish in the next hour then it's possible a hard drive problem. Post back after an hour. It should not take longer than 2 hours for a hard drive that size.

Edit: I noticed your post time. Is the cursor still blinking? Do you see any hard drive activity.

I cancelled that and changed it to "clean", and it was instantly "clean".  Then the next step was the partition creation, and next, formatting, to which it is at 32% completed-- it has been formatting for well over 6 hours.  It is now 8pm (est).  What a let down this will be if it doesn't work!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

I have to say your hard drive is failing. It should not take 6 hours to format the drive. You can use Seatools for DOS and do the short test to verify. You will need to burn the iso file with Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Image File. Boot the disk and do the short test. If it does not detect the drive you may have to change the mode from AHCI to IDE in BIOS.

Tutorial

User Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users