Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A first rate computer protection?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Balliol

Balliol

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:00 AM

I am using AVG but decided to dump it when they increased the price by 17% as well as expecting one to pay for an extra computer.  I found what appeared to be a good alternative recommended by Randall Sutherland but when I looked into it I found that it had to be upgraded from £19.95 to £59.95 for full coverage.

I don't mind paying but I resent smart arse marketing so can anyone recommend a reliable and honest computer protection program.  I'm not sure if I should I call it Anti Virus or what because obviously I need anti malware protection I think>   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,653 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

hi Balliol,

In my opinion the free AV versions are just as good as the paid versons. The paid versions just offer more features. 

Really there is no first rate protection as far as software goes. No software can think for you. Theres no set it and forget it. 'Protection' also requires user interaction in the form of being aware and practising good habits.

Just check out the posts in the malware removal forum. 99.8% of these posters all have AV and antimalware installed. Why are they here?

All these AV below have free versions. Iam sure theres more, these are just off the top of my head. I would avoid any offers to install toolbars or other offers during a install. Avoid getting them from portals that use wrappers or download managers also. As a antimalware app I would use the free version of Malwarebytes.

Avast

AVG

Avira

Panda Cloud

Bit Defender

Immunet

Comodo

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,653 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users