Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Icon Disappeared From Tray - Can't Restore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

Windows 7. 

I'm having some issues with my tray notification icons.  I have only been running this computer for a few weeks.  A few days ago my volume icon disappeared from the tray.  I tried a few procedures I found in some Microsoft forums and none worked.  One procedure said that the issue often involves group policies.  I followed the steps, opening RegEdit and couldn't locate the file they indicated.  An alternate procedure was outlined if that didn't work, again entering RegEdit and I forget the exact process, but I didn't locate that either.  Another procedure was listed by someone else in the MS group saying to stop the Explorer.exe process.  IT disappeared, as the instructions said it would and when I restarted the computer, it wasn't there.  In fact, when I went into the customizing page, the three icons I need, volume, network, and power, were all grayed out.  Then I tried sfc.exe /scannow in the command line (suggested in the same group) and when I did, the black screen command prompt disappeared and did not scan.

This problem started right after I downloaded VLC Media Player.  I tried a system restore and it failed. However, after the failed system restore, the volume icon came back, but it disappeared again shortly after.  I uninstalled VLC Media Player and when I restarted the computer, the network icon came back in the tray, volume and power are stilled grayed out, and now there is a VLC icon in the hidden icons not showing on the bar.

Any suggestions here?

Edited by hamluis, 28 December 2014 - 09:38 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:03 AM

Try the attached .reg file. Unzip and then double-click, OK at the prompt to add to registry. Log out and then back in to see changes.

TsVk!

Attached Files

Edited by TsVk!, 28 December 2014 - 02:03 AM.

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:24 AM

Thanks.  I need to more about what I'm doing before I make possibly radical changes to my computer.

I ran RegEdit and in H_KEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Policies...I noticed that the folder for POLICIES is empty.

Should there be files in this folder?

I'm sorry but I just don't feel comfortable making changes to my computer from someone I don't know.  It's nothing personal.  I've had various infections (my main computer is down now with something I picked up online) so I need more feedback on this situation.  I noticed from my research that this is not a totally uncommon problem.  The problem first arose after I installed VLC Media Player from the official site.  I uninstalled it and an icon is still in the 'customize' icon tray.  Why would that be?

And oddly enough...the icons that were missing are now sitting in the tray where they belong.  That happened before.  And they disappeared before.  

Let me reboot later and see if they are still there.

My question still remains if there should be some files in the folder for policies, as listed above.

Thanks.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

Sure, if you look at the script I uploaded (open with text editor) you will see this.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"HideSCAVolume"=-
"NoTrayItemsDisplay"=-
"HideSCANetwork"=-
"NoAutoTrayNotify"=-
"HideClock"=-
"HideSCAPower"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"HideSCAVolume"=-
"NoAutoTrayNotify"=-
"HideSCANetwork"=-
"NoTrayItemsDisplay"=-
"HideClock"=-
"HideSCAPower"=-

You can see all the values are negative, in other words it will remove these values if they exist. Which is often the cause of your problem.

The reason you can still see VLC icon is most likely because of a faulty uninstallation. You can try re-installing it and re-uninstalling to fix the issue... Or if you have issues uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller or something similar, to be sure.

TsVk!

#5 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

Thanks.  I may have more problems so I want to pursue a few possibilities before I try this.  I had some problems this morning and contacted by IP and they suggested I reset my network password and install a more complete security suite.  I have a LONG list of stopped services on my computer and am wondering if any of those might have something to do with this issue.   As soon as I changed my network password, the problems stopped.  I don't know about the secret life of Windows but some of the processes certainly sound like they could have an impact. 

The thread is here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561294/ms-services-stopped-are-some-critical/

I noticed that two icons are in my list of icons that shouldn't be there...VLC Media and BitDefender AV (I uninstalled both but the icons are still in the tray that shows all the icons.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:16 PM

Hi LittleGreen,

As this topic is leaning towards malware I can no longer comment (being a trainee here you see),

Good luck with cleanup, someone will be along shortly to help you I'm sure.

TsVk!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:03 AM

Your other topic is posted here and you are already receiving help.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users