Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi: Not connected-connections available

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrag

mrag

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:41 PM

This should be simpler than it sounds. I just got a used Dell Latitude E6400 and started installing Win7. I could not connect to the internet. I would get messages like "not connected-connections available." The laptop is seeing all the routers around me including mine and tries to connect, but eventually fails. There is a blue light showing WiFi is 'active' and in the lower right, the connection bar graph has like a timer indicating it is about to connect. It doesn't. Somewhere else my system says "Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN is working properly."

So not having a clue on what I am doing, I put in a USB WiFi adapter dongle that I used to use on a desktop unit. Turning "off" the native WiFi switch and rebooting and presto, I have an internet connection on the laptop. But what's the real problem? Is this a bad Wireless card WiFi WLAN that needs to be replaced in the laptop?

(Edit addition)
The sequence I am using now is:
 with the WiFi switch OFF and dongle in a USB port, select 'connect to a network' (I am given several choices including mine so it 'sees' the options), I select mine and enter network key. Bingo, I'm connected.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 December 2014 - 11:47 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,937 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

Go to device manager and make sure your wireless chipset is the intel 5300. Sometimes the intel drivers get wonky and installing the latest driver works.

If you have any Dell Wireless software I would uninstall that first. Then go here and download the latest Intel Wireless driver. The larger downloads include the intel wireless software which is what I would download.

Wireless_16.7.0_s32.exe   32 bit

Wireless_16.7.0_s64.exe   64bit

Edit: I would create a Restore Point and also a System Repair Disk if you do not have one already. This would let you boot and do a system restore if anything should happen but I doubt this driver would do anything.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 December 2014 - 10:55 PM.

#3 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

Thank you for the reply. I'm returning the laptop and was told it would be replaced so for now I am not going down the driver path. For what it may be worth, I could get an internet connection using a (Linksys) USB WiFi dongle although it seemed very slow in accessing different web sites. It seemed(!) faster doing Window Updates, but hard to put real numbers down. I also booted from USB into Xubuntu Live and got the message that no wireless connections' were to be found. I take that as further evidence of a hardware issue. Had I a spare WiFi card, I would have jumped at replacing and trying that. It looks easy enough on this YouTube video. Again, I very much appreciate the suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users