Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would software recommendations made for older OS s still work for windows 10

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:40 PM

Ok, i just posted something on another thread saying i would recommend certain programs to a user upon their asking for "can anyone tell me a good..." or "can anyone tell me a program to ..." or "what antivirus should i have for an operating system of ..." and that i would probably recommend the same software whatever they said their OS was. But this got me thinking, does windows 10 work with software that runs on windows xp, vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 ? Amongst those of you who have gone and tested out windows 10, were you able to use installers for it that worked on older windows versions. Because I would think very few software developers have yet made versions of their programs for windows 10 so when i recommend a program to a user, if thye are running windows 10 could thye go and download it just like an xp, vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 user would. Has anyone yet tried running, on a computer with windows 10, an installer exe file for any desktop program they can think of which they first ran on a machine with an older windows operating system. Has windows made a big change in how software works with this latest operating system? If a user asked me "how can i..." and i recommended program to them for which the only options they could download was an installer for xp, vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 would they be able to install it on windows 10? I personally am never going anywhere near windows 10 but some day i guess that there will be a sizeable proportion of users on here with it, will all my recommendations for what works on xp,vista,7,8,8.1 be useless information to them unless the developers of programs start offering an installer for windows 10 on their download pages?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:36 PM

I haven't tested Windows 10, too big of a download to justify the bandwidth right now. I'm interested to see what people have found does or does not work. I know with Windows 8 there were issues with some Windows 7 programs not working; devs had to quickly release new versions that fixed the issues. I'm sure there are going to be at least a few similar cases for Windows 10, especially for older software that was built for XP or Vista.

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

@rp88

Hi

In order to recommend any program under a new OS, it would be best if you installed a copy of the OS and test the application yourself.

Before recommending a program to someone with less knowledge than yourself, install that program and run it through the paces, noting any deficiencies.

That way you know firsthand the compatibility of said program. There is already too much secondhand information often misleading a user because of someone professing being an authority on a subject they know very little of.

IMHO!

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:06 AM

Posted Here <<<

Posted by Tina Sieber in response to your exact question.

Some users reported it takes a long time to start up, others noticed that the new Continuum feature doesn’t work flawlessly all the time, and apparently some modern apps fail to function properly. The video above highlights a number of other issues that might be due to the hardware being used. For a test version, that’s normal!
(My Bolding only) It Won’t Support All Hardware & Software
Windows TP was designed with modern hardware in mind and comes preloaded with a limited number of drivers. Remember that it’s an evaluation copy for enterprise users. They are using Windows 10 TP to examine compatibility with their existing setup and to make requests to Microsoft for changes. As a result, Windows 10 will go through a number of changes before its final release in mid-late 2015. A Developer Preview of Windows 10, based on which new software and hardware drivers will be developed, is expected to be available for Microsoft’s Build conference in April 2015.

(TP = Technicians or Technical Preview)

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

my own experience with using win10.i installed and used ,adobe photo shop 5.5 from 1999,Cool-edit pro 2000,and Microsoft works from office 2003 I think ,all worked fine

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

MS Office 2007 > no compatibility issues thus far.

Photoshop 2: Same

VLC: Same

Acronis 11.5: Same

uTorrent: Same

Janky knockoff USB digital video converter (security cam): Same

Netgear and Cisco wireless USB dongles: Same

Firefox: Same

DriveGLEAM (small dive monitor): Same

Alas; LastPass has issues....

Keep ya updated. ;)

EDIT: Wouldn't be a bad idea to create a sticky to present a list of tested and used software on 10: Maybe one for working; one for not.

:unsure:

Edit dux: What an absurd idea.... That would be chaos.

Edited by bludgard, 29 January 2015 - 09:30 PM.

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

"EDIT: Wouldn't be a bad idea to create a sticky to present a list of tested and used software on 10: Maybe one for working; one for not"

Wise idea, hopefully one of the mods will see this and make such a thread. but ofcourse it would need organising and giving rules to ensure that you didn't get hundreds of people reporting the results for the same programs.

Edited by rp88, 30 January 2015 - 06:54 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional.

All seems to working fine. No errors when creating a PDF from this forums Homepage.

Testing older stuff and then going to try upgrades.

All on a 32-bit platform. Will test 64-bit later....

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

EDIT: Wouldn't be a bad idea to create a sticky to present a list of tested and used software on 10: Maybe one for working; one for not.

That sounds like a great idea.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

I don't know if it has been discussed yet, but how are these tests being conducted? Do you simply download the program installer, install it and mess around a bit with it? If nothing happens, you declare it compatible? Or do you test every single feature and make sure that all of them are responsive and working?
Also about that sticky, if one person starts the thread and it gets a lot of contribution (actual contribution) then I guess it will be noticed by the Admins and stickied then.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

.... Do you simply download the program installer, install it and mess around a bit with it? If nothing happens, you declare it compatible? Or do you test every single feature and make sure that all of them are responsive and working?

Download. Install. Run. If the program (or driver) installs and runs basic features (impossible to test every aspect) without compatibility troubleshooting or force install; then I declare it a winner.

I do agree that there are too many variables to declare that a program will run on all windows 10 environments. What with versions of Windows, architecture of prog and Windows, updates, hardware, black-outs (both electrical and boozy > lol) and acts of god. Not to mention that the final release may not run at all! Wouldn't that be a trip!

As stated: Absurd.

Anyone have a favorite program that want's tested; I'll give it a whirl and report back. Please, no pron-ish stuff: The wife be lookin' over my shoulder sometimes. Hahahahaha

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:08 AM

What issues does LastPass have? Also, did you give Google Chrome (both 32 and 64-bits) a try? What about VirtualBox?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

VirtualBox was one of the first and destroyed all network drivers and would not start at all. No fiddlin' would correct it. Only an image backup got me sorted.

Have not tried Google Chrome, yet. Workin' on a 32-bit platform ATM but 64-will get the chance.

LastPass installer will not run no matter what I try. Problem seems to be with the IE plug-in.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

What if you download it straight from the Google Chrome Web Store (once you test it)? And damn, that's a shame since I'm a big VirtualBox user.

unite_blue.png

#15 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

Big shame. I breathe VBox....

Will try LastPass again with Chrome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users