Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My RAID disappeared.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

So I click on a shortcut to one of my favorite video games, and it tells me the shortcut leads to a non existent place (or however it phrased it).

I look in my computer to find that Drive H (a RAID consisting of 2 veloci raptors) isn't listed.

So I restart, same thing. I do a check disk of drive C, because I had unceremoniously shut off the power to my computer a few days ago. So I thought maybe that screwed something up.

I go straight to my BIOS and the drives are not showing up.

So I remove all my drives, and plug one of the 2 velocity raptors in a different SATA port. The BIOS recognizes the drive. I plug the other Veloci raptor in another SATA port and it too shows up.

I plug an entirely different drive in the SATA ports my RAID was on, and the drive is not showing up on either port in BIOS.

I don't get it. I understand a SATA port can fail. But two at a time?

Is it possible the onboard RAID controller for those two ports died?

Should I clear CMOS?

Oh, by the way, I was running a RAID 0, If both ports (or the raid controller for them) died, what are the chances the data on the RAID is still intact?

Is this a situation where once a RAID is dead, re-establishing the RAID makes all the data on both drives invalid?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

Possibly the sata controller has a problem, you might be able to use an identical replacement board using the same ports to recover the raid, that or use RStudio to rebuild the raid array and hopefully get your data from the drives. With raid 0 you really are putting yourself at risk for data loss, if one drive goes, that is it, data = gone. Raid 0 should only be used for scratch drives or load speed for things you can get back easily, like games (not the player save data but the game itself to improve load times). Remember to keep good frequent backups.

Whatever you do, don't write anything to either of the drives that were in the raid array.

Edited by zingo156, 28 December 2014 - 10:36 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

With RStudio it can take a while and a lot of work to get the raid back but it usually works for me if both drives are still working:

http://www.r-tt.com/Articles/Finding_RAID_parameters/

http://www.r-tt.com/Articles/RAID_Recovery_Presentation/

Edited by zingo156, 28 December 2014 - 03:09 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Well, I thank you for the helpful links.

I'm not too concerned about rebuilding the RAID. Like, I would like to be able to do it, but if not, I'll live. It was my gaming drive. It just means reinstalling all the games, readjusting the settings, and starting over. Which is no big deal. Starting my games from scratch is no biggie.

I'm mostly worried about how to handle this. Like you said, I think the RAID controller on the board died. What I am going to do when I get a chance is take the computer apart, swap the SATA cables from good SATA ports, clear CMOS, and see if that makes the board able to recognize those ports. The method behind that madness is, if one of the SATA cables died, while both ports were recognized as being part of a RAID, this could have jammed something in the BIOS / firmware. Or maybe it is just one port that died, resulting in jamming the BIOS.

Yeah I know, this is all highly unlikely, but I'd like to rule it out. I just don't have time at the moment to dissect the computer to get into the nightmare of cable management and move around those SATA cables.

Assuming the controller is just dead, I guess the next thing to do is buy a RAID controller. I can fit one in my first PCIe slot. It's a PCIe 2.0 x1, which means it has a theoretical throughput of 500 MB's.

If I put the two drives on my SATAII RAID, using the other built in RAID controller, SATAII will cap these two drives.

The only problem with a RAID card controller, is that I have to remove my wireless networking card, and I can't put it on the other PCIe slots because they'll choke one of my two graphics cards that need to breathe. So I guess I'll try one of those USB wireless adapters. Besides, the one I have now doesn't work with Linux.

I think that beats buying a new motherboard. This is an Asrock OC Formula Z77. This thing cost $220 when I bought it. The only motherboard I'd consider buying right now is the Asrock Fatal!ty for $120. Wait... that assumes they even make one with an  LGA 1155 socket for this 3770K CPU.
So I definitely think buying a RAID card for my PCIe 2.0 x1 is the way to go here.

And I have a feeling the dead port/s is my fault. When first installing this board, I put the wrong end of a SATA cable in there, had the hardest time getting it out, and heard something crack, or crunch, and thought for sure I broke the SATA connector. Maybe I just damaged it, and it took 2 years to finally die.

I was mostly checking on here to see if there was something I hadn't thought of.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

Resetting the bios might work, it's always worth a shot. Disconnecting power from a computer shouldn't damage anything however if your cmos battery is dead, disconnecting power will clear the cmos/bios settings. You might double check everything in bios for correct settings including raid.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users