Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just a question about user accounts on XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrne72

mrne72

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 04:27 PM

I was wondering if there are too many user accounts on my home (no one else on this thing) computer.
When I run regedit, there are a number of entries under HKEY Users:

S-1-5-18
S-1-5-19
S-1-5-19_Classes
S-1-5-20
S-1-5-20_Classes
S-1-5-21-(string of numbers)-1003
S-1-5-21-(string of numbers)-1003_Classes

Are these legit entries, or should I be worried? From what I've seen in the past, copies of things can be hacks, but I just don't know and was hoping someone with real knowledge of this could give me some guidance, as I'm kinda worried I may have an open "in" if there's a bogus user account on my computer.
Thanks for your time :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 04:39 PM

Go to start/control panel/user accounts. How many users are lised at the bottom? The same amount in the post? Just turn them off and remove them if so.

#3 mrne72

mrne72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2004 - 03:29 AM

Ok, there was just the Owner and Guest account (currently off) listed. So hopefully that's good. I'm still paranoid after the run in with the CWS/swapx CRAP (which I can't say thank you enough for the tutorials they've written up for this site. I would have never gotten that thing removed without it).
Thanks for the response :thumbsup:

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:13 AM

You should be safe. I only have the same accounts. Admin and guest(off) Like when you start up there will only be admin on the welcome screen? I know there is a setting to let you click a name on the welcome screen everytime you boot up. I might be confusing you. I think your safe.

I so hate CWS CRAP I now try to fight it myself along with many others on the HJT team!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users