Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does my IDE hard drive have 43/47 pins (vs 40/44/48)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 amodoko

amodoko

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:12 PM

I counted my pins on my IDE hard drive and it has a total of 47 pins (43 if you subtract the extra four on the side).  Most sites list IDE hard drives as 44 pins, but I see that other people have mentioned they have 43 pins.  What is going on?  I don't know much about computers but would like to know why there is this discrepancy.  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:25 PM

This should explain it. Hope it helps.

#3 amodoko

amodoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

Oh, thank you, that makes sense now.  It seems the pin may or may not be absent on some IDE drives, and it doesn't really matter because it never carries any power.  It is just for orientation if it is absent based on that link.  Thanks.

That link brought me to another question.  Shouldn't this cheap thing power a 2.5 inch IDE drive: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321506462968?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

I was going to buy it but was told it would not be able to power a 2.5 inch drive.  But if the first 44 IDE pins include power, and the adapter has 44 slots, shouldn't it work fine? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

I have one of those but mine includes a power brick and SATA cables for powering 3.5 hard drives. For a laptop hard drive, the adapter you show is all you need. The power for the hard drive is through the USB port. The link your provided stated that it could work for 3.5 drives but that is false. You need the power brick to do that.

#5 amodoko

amodoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

That's what I originally thought, but then I talked to some computer guys and they said the adapter wouldn't be able to power even a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive with just one USB port.  Since I don't know much about computers, I just believed them.  I guess they were wrong then. Thanks for your help, much appreciated. 

Edited by amodoko, 27 December 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

Yea, if you look at the power brick it has a molex connector for the 3.5 drives. No such thing for a laptop drive. I have a external USB hard drive (SATA) that is powered by the USB connector. As you can see here the external enclosure for a 2.5 IDE drive has no other power connectors other than the USB cable. Some vendors provide a cable with two USB plugs just in case the computer's one USB port cannot provide enough power.

#7 amodoko

amodoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

Perfect, thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users