Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TinkerTank

TinkerTank

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:34 PM

I just took the advice of someone on this site and decided to upgrade my old machine with a new MOBO, processor, RAM, GPU and a new optical because my old one was IDE. I didnt get a new copy of windows because im using the same HDD. After i installed everything and turned it on i got the 0xc000000e error and the title of the topic. I checked boot order and my MSI 970 MOBO was set up to boot legacy devices. Is my sata HDD too legacy? I tried booting from my windows 7 installation disc but it wont.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TinkerTank

TinkerTank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:37 PM

For clarity my Hdd is a western digital WD30EZRX-00DC0B0

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

You can't use a hard drive that had Windows 7 installed on different hardware and expect it to work on a computer with a different motherboard. That is why you are getting the error that a device is inaccessible. Windows 7 will have to be installed fresh on the hard drive.

Your Windows 7 install disk will not boot on a UEFI computer. There is a way to force it to boot on a USB flash drive but the easiest would be to create an iso  from the install disk with software like Imgburn and use RUFUS to create a UEFI bootable USB flash drive. Another thing, if your Windows 7 is 32bit I do not believe that will work with your UEFI motherboard. You can download Windows 7 64bit iso's though.

If this Windows 7 is an OEM disk from somebody like HP or Dell, that will not work either on the new hardware.

Edit: Here is a guide on installing Windows 7 64bit on a UEFI computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 December 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#4 TinkerTank

TinkerTank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

So it would just be easier to just buy a new OS and format the drive during the fresh install?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

Yes, if the OS install disk you have is OEM as I posted. You should be able to find something on Ebay. If the disk you have is a retail disk, even if 32bit, you could download the 64bit iso of your version and burn that, otherwise you will need to purchase a new install disk.

#6 TinkerTank

TinkerTank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:52 AM

K ive decided to get a new install disc because as it turns out the olddisc i got from my friend was a pirated version of windows anyway

#7 TinkerTank

TinkerTank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

I broke down and bought windows 8.1. I wanted to do an upgradr install but it gave me a compatibility report warning so I decided to play it safe and do a fresh reformat and clean install. Everythings working now thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users