Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(AMD) my new cpu scores lower than my previous.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 metalupyourmax

metalupyourmax

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:18 PM

Today I replaced my old Phenom II x4 840 with an AMD FX 4130. The new cpu compared to my old, runs 600mhz faster stock, has an l3 cache unlike the other, and is much newer. After my excitement was over and my pc was booted, I reran the Windows Assessment test and much to my surprise, my cpu score went from 7.3 to 7.2. I figured this was just an issue with that and I ran 3dmark. My overall score dropped almost 400, and the physics score dropped by 1000. In confusion, I went into the bios and disabled c1e, c6, and APM. Re ran the tests and still the same speed. The processor is always at the stock speed and is unparked, so why is it slower exactly? Is it maybe just slower in certain operations, or do I have something set wrong. The temperatures are also very good, 55 c average under load and 30c idle. I ran passmark performance test and I score 4185 for my cpu. The reported score online by passmark for my cpu is 4194, so that is good. Any explanations and ideas for the lower scores? thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

The 4130 is slightly better for single threaded performance but slightly worse for multiple threads: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/191/AMD_FX-Series_FX-4130_vs_AMD_Phenom_II_X4_840.html

Depending on what you do with it, you might see performance increase or decrease. It seems all of the benchmarks must be making use of all cores of the cpu which means your new one will be slower. Clock speed alone is not an indication for performance. Work per clock cycle varies between cpus.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 metalupyourmax

metalupyourmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:03 PM

So would you  say I downgraded, or should I not worry?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:37 PM

I would say it depends on what you are using it for. Minecraft is an example where you might benefit, some more modern games you might see a decrease in performance.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

FWIW:  If you want to see a comparison of the two CPUs (I'm not saying that it's a meaningful one), you might visit the CPUBoss website.

Louis

#6 metalupyourmax

metalupyourmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

I tried that out, it gave me a good idea. In the end, im not too bothered by the potential loss in performance, as while ive lost some, ive gained more. On top of that, this cpu has lots of overclocking capability to my understanding, unlike my previous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users