Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E-Mail programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 larry31

larry31

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

I've been a longtime user of Outlook Express. (   I-LIKE-IT  )

It's simple, and does everything I need to do.

My problem.. I installed Windows-7, and OE will not work now.  I did get it to run in XP mode.

My question: Why do all these other e-mail program developers feel that they have to load their software user page with so many options to configure for every possible situation, and not provide for removing all the icons from the user interface.

I tried Windows Live Mail, All kinds of icons, making normal use confusing. I hate its interface.

I tried Mozilla Thunderbird. Again lots of icons and possible configuration possibilities. Again just makes using it confusing

( Mozilla won't let me receive images in my e-mail. )

Both of the above  list all 4 of my e-mail addresses, separately  with { Inbox - Drafts - Sent - Trash } sub folders for each address. OE combines all addresses and only one set of these sub folders..

I haven't tried other e-mail programs, but I'm afraid they are much the same. Can anyone tell me of an e-mail program that has an interface as simple as Outlook Express, can receive images, and links, like OE ?

Edited by hamluis, 27 December 2014 - 06:01 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

Hi Larry,

I really recommend you take a closer look to Mozilla Thunderbird, yes there are several configuration possibilities but that is what allow you to make it run like Outlook Express but with lots of powerful feature.

In Thunderbird you can create accounts and choose to put everything in the same Inbox - Drafts - Sent - Trash folders.

The images question its a security feature applied to on-line images, the program will show you the images on the messages from e-mail addresses saved in your address book, for the others you need to click a button to show the images. More about this here.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

Unfortunately, OE is out of support and won't work on Windows 7 or any other OS released after XP.

Aside from Windows Live, your only other real option is an open source email client like Thunderbird or Evolution.

#4 larry31

larry31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:01 PM

Thanks everyone! I just installed Postbox Express. I'll try it out for a while. It is very close to OE in layout and features. Some differences, but I guess you can't have everything.

I did try mozilla Thunderbird, eM Client, Opera, and Win. Live Mail. I have an old copy of Outlook from my Office 2000 disks. I could never get it to send, and receive mail?? I tried all combinations of POP & smtp, but nothing worked.

Postbox Express installed slick as ....  Even imported my addresses, and custom folders from Thunderbird during the install process. It sends and receives images, and links. Thunderbird did not do that.

Found my addresses, and their settings during install. No muss, no Fuss!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users