Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade existing PC or buy new?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 auraelspeth

auraelspeth

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:24 PM

I have an old Dell Inspiron 580, and the hard drive died last month. I had been wanting a new computer for a while now, so I wasn't too upset. However, I'm not sure if I should buy a new PC or just upgrade the parts in my current case.

The processor I have now is Core i5 650. Obviously I would need a new hard drive and OS. I'd also need to upgrade the power supply and graphics card.

I am not a gamer, per se, but I do like to play games. I really want to get TES Online and LOTR Shadow of Mordor. I know those are both games with high requirements.

Should I try to upgrade my current system, or would that be a waste of time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

Trying to update any pre built - especially Dell (in my opinion) is not worth it.

Couple of reasons why.

1. You are only going to be able to update certain parts, memory, hard drive, and depending on the size of the GPU and the case you would be able to get a graphics card. (doing a quick Google search it looks like there is a slim line version of this model, not sure if that is what you have or not)

2. Depending on what you are wanting to upgrade, the PSU may not handle what you throw at it. Typically the power supplies that are stuck in there are made to handle exactly what is in there and not much else. Especially if you wnat a higher end GPU.

Honestly the question here is how much you are currently wanting to spend to get a new computer and what you are wanting to do with it. On your old computer you could upgrade the hard drive, memory and that's about it.

I would look into either getting yourself a new pre-built or look into building your own. Building your own allows for more flexibility and upgrading down the road.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 auraelspeth

auraelspeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, I've heard about Dells being difficult to upgrade, which is why I decided to ask before jumping in. I have the medium case, not the slim, so I was hoping it would work. My budget is around $1000, so I think I'm going to try building my own, although I've never done it before. Thanks for your help!

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

You have a good budget to build your own! You can build a very good computer within that price range.

If you decide to build, post a new topic if you need any help. There are lots of experienced system builders here. It is not hard at all to build your own. The hardest part is understanding what parts can go with one another. Putting it together is rather simple, its actually less complicated then some Lego projects.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users