Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble booting past BIOS screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 duddymon

duddymon

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hi I have an older DELL running XP Pro. It has not been used for a while, but I had files that I wanted to backup then I was going to reload windows on the machine to use as a backup PC.

When I started, I was able to boot into windows but there appeared to be a pretty nasty virus or malware because it was running pretty slow. I have an IDE to USB adapter that I was using to backup the files to another drive. When I plugged it in the screen went dark and now I can't boot past the BIOS screen.

I have tried to reset the BIOS with no luck, unplugged the CD and DVD drives, and even tried replacing the original hard drive with another one. I am assuming that since the other drive had boot files on it that it messed up the BIOS somehow. I am not an expert in this but usually if you change the jumper pins or only leave one boot option you can usually get a successful boot. I am kind of stumped here.

Any suggestions?  Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 28 December 2014 - 10:30 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:38 AM

You have moved your files using the adapter and that is done, correct? Attach the CD and DVD drives. With a bootable disk in the CD/DVD drive tap F12 at boot. Select the optical drive. It should boot off the disk unless something is either wrong with the disk or drive.

What is the model number of the Dell?

#3 duddymon

duddymon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

No I wasn't able to move the files yet. When I plugged in the IDE adapter it pretty much just went blank. that was when I could not boot any longer. I can't even get to the boot option in the BIOS it just flashes for a second then continues to run but doesn't do anything. I suspected the hard drive but it was booting before I tried using the adapter. maybe I can take the hard drive out and try using it on it's own?

It is a DELL Dimension 2400 I think. Pentium 4

#4 duddymon

duddymon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

sorry I originally posted this in the wrong place.  Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Hi I have an older DELL running XP Pro. It has not been used for a while, but I had files that I wanted to backup then I was going to reload windows on the machine to use as a backup PC.

When I started, I was able to boot into windows but there appeared to be a pretty nasty virus or malware because it was running pretty slow. I have an IDE to USB adapter that I was using to backup the files to another drive. When I plugged it in the screen went dark and now I can't boot past the BIOS screen.

I have tried to reset the BIOS with no luck, unplugged the CD and DVD drives, and even tried replacing the original hard drive with another one. I am assuming that since the other drive had boot files on it that it messed up the BIOS somehow. I am not an expert in this but usually if you change the jumper pins or only leave one boot option you can usually get a successful boot. I am kind of stumped here.

Any suggestions?  Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 28 December 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:46 PM

Your using an adapter like this on another computer to transfer the files and when you attach via USB the other computer blanks out?

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

Do you get any errors or does the computer just stop/freeze on the bios screen?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 duddymon

duddymon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:48 AM

no it just flashes the screen for a second then goes blank but stays running

#8 duddymon

duddymon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:52 AM

yes

now this other computer just will not boot. sometimes I am not even getting the bios screen now

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

I am wondering if this adapter is defective and causing the problem. On the this computer that does not boot, remove any power cord, and battery if a laptop. Also any other connected devices other than the keyboard and mouse. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord. If a laptop do not replace the main battery. Does the computer now power up?

#10 duddymon

duddymon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

Yeah I wondered that also. I tried to plug it into another computer and still can't see any drives show up, but I didn't have the same problem with the screen going blank. I have already tried to reset the power button, but  didn't unplug everything though, I'll try that. If that doesn't work I may have to physically remove the drive then try it in another computer. I'll repost after I do that. This may be hard to trouble shoot without being there to see what is happening. Thanks for your help though

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:24 PM

When you were backing up your files using the USB adapter How did you connect it? Did you use another drive connected to the USB adapter to copy the Files off the Windows XP computer? Or did you connect the Windows XP Hard drive to another computer? Do you have the make and model of the USB adapter? If your connecting a desktop Hard drive you will need an additional power adapter to provide 12v to power the drive if the USB adapter did not include one. Also when you tried a new hard drive did it have an operating system on it, or were you booting from DVD/CD?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users