Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Adware (in DOTA 2?), I've done all i can but it still persists!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SaethwyrCobbler

SaethwyrCobbler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:43 AM

i recently got caught with a fake adobe flash update which riddled my brand new PC with malware and adware.

I believe i got rid of most of it, uninstalling what i could, I ran my Avast virus scan (found noithing), ive also run malwarebytes (found LOAAAADS) and ADWCleaner (found lots) but still have adware problems. I then ran HitmanPro and found more. i reset all my browsers (IE chrome and FireFox) a couple of times in all this, they all seem to be clear now.

The only problem im having seems to be in Dota 2, the in game store keeps getting pop-ups from Dealfinder and WindowShopper and it plays audio adverts VERY loudly while i am playing.

i think i have narrowed it down to Dota by running it with no other applications open, and the audio adverts stop when i exit the game. All of the above programs are coming up blank for adware and malware now, apart from HitmanPro that keeps finding tracking cookies in firefox.

I'm on Windows 8.1, i use Avast and Malwarebytes

I'm checking other games to see if the problems exist there as well (games with stores) but none of them have the same problems, adware and malware scanners are coming up clean and as far as i know i dont have any dodgy programs installed. it just seems to be Dota, i tried uninstalling it and reinstalling but the adverts still play however the pop up bubbles trying to sell me toasters and kettles instead of hats for my heroes have disappeared.

what can i do as i obviously have some form of adware, it deafens me while im playing, but none of the scanners are finding anything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

If it is adware from a third party at that site then often that can be dealt with by simply removing and blocking third party cookies.

In Firefox and Chrome you can install the Add-On Adblock Plus. In Firefox you can install NoScript that prevents ads and many

more uses such as preventing driveby installs of malware.

Disable third-party cookies in IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome | How To - CNET

NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox

Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox

Use CCleaner to cleanup the temporary files, logs, remove ALL cookies, etc. Use the default settings. No need to use

the Registry Cleaning Tool.....risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck any offers of

toolbars especially Google. CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Scan the computer using Eset's Online Scanner to find and remove adware and malware.

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

Edited by buddy215, 27 December 2014 - 12:18 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 SaethwyrCobbler

SaethwyrCobbler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

thanks for your help, that seems to have cleared it up! i ran that and it found 3 more, i got myself into a really nasty situation where the adware programs when i went to uninstall them were saying things like "by clicking uninstall you agree to install ^these^ in its place, which obviously was making things worse, ive had the game open in the background for about 5 minutes now and no crazy audio is playing.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

Okay....you're welcome...happy surfin' !

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users