Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Understanding running openvpn on ddwrt configured router

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyJam019

JimmyJam019

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

need some help understanding using a ddwrt "Open vpn" router
Hi guys,

I have ordered a netgear nighthawk ac1900 vpn router through my vpn provider. My purpose for this was to run a open vpn so I could connect phones, tablets, etc to the vpn connection. However running ddwrt with open vpn I know there are a ton of options I can do with this. My main worry however, is that its going to slow down my entire local network in my home because now everything would be going through the vpn tunnel. Should I be worried about this or is this router fast enough to deal with this? Also, when running an open vpn do all connections have to be connected via vpn or can I connect around the vpn on the router? I have read some people run a dual router setup. One is an ddwrt open vpn router and the other is used for connections around the home that dont require a vpn. Is this something I should look into, or should I be fine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

your LAN will not make it to layer 3 traffic that the VPN handles. In other words even though it says router it is really a 4 port switch that does routing when needed out your WAN port. Local traffic is switch traffic, all Layer 2 and fast.

The rest of your questions hit the wall of my knowledge, I have not worked with VPNs enough to answer it. Sorry but I am sure someone here knows and can answer you =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:19 PM

The openvpn connection is done on the wan port of the router.  There is no getting around that connection for devices not wanting to use the openvpn connection.

#4 JimmyJam019

JimmyJam019
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

The openvpn connection is done on the wan port of the router.  There is no getting around that connection for devices not wanting to use

the openvpn connection.

Should I expect to see a decrease in speed in overall network performance since all traffic is routed thru vpn?

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

As CaveDweller2 points out the internet traffic has nothing to do with your lan traffic. Only internet bound traffic will go to the openvpn connection.  Do understand that you are putting another layer between you and the internet and there is a cost in bandwidth for that layer. So instead of going to all points on the internet directly from your router you are going to the openvpn servers to then be routed to the internet.  You won't know what the cost is until you implement it.

#6 JimmyJam019

JimmyJam019
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

I was thinking of running two routers. One on OpenVPN and one regular. I see this can be done. Good idea?

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:28 AM

Depends on what you are trying to address.  You will have two networks that won't be able to talk to each other.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:36 PM

What is it  you are trying to achieve?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 JimmyJam019

JimmyJam019
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

What is it  you are trying to achieve?

I was mainly worried about loss of speed but it seems my speed has actually increased because I have a more powerful router now with the ddwrt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users