Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice On Malfunctioning New Comp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RavensVigil

RavensVigil

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

I have recently bought from mvave.com components to build a computer. When the components arrived, I assembled them in accordance with directions in the manuals and whatnot, but when i turned the power on to the computer, fans spun, the hard drive and cdrom spun, but the motherboard seemed to get stuck while Posting, and no display came up on the monitor. The motherboard I have is an Epox EP-MF4 Ultra http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=426 along with a GeFOrce 7300 GS graphics card and an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor.

After several reboots, I did manage to get the computer working for a little while: I was able to enter Bios setup, and begin installing Windows XP. Unfortunately, halfway through the installation, the computer completely froze and would not boot up again. Each time I turned it on, the LED post code was something different, and most of the time it just got stuck at FF, which my manual informs me is a "Boot attempt" While in the bios, I noticed that the CPU temperature was at a pretty constant 40 degrees C, so I dont think thats the problem, though I could be wrong. I think the problem is in the motherboard and i'll need to send it back for a replacement, but I thought it might be the graphics card instead.

Could anyone tell me with more certainty which component is faulty or if there might be something I'm simply doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:38 PM

I would make SURE the motherboard is not shorting out on anything inside the case, or on the case itself. You should have installed standoffs before inserting motherboard.

A good test would be to remove the motherboard and place it on a flat piece of cardboard. Make sure the RAM, CPU, CPU fan, video card are installed. Hook up the monitor and power supply, keyboard and mouse ONLY. Boot it by shorting out the power switch (or better yet plug in the case's power switch first and just hit the switch to get it to start booting). If it boots to the point of looking for a hard drive, then it probably is shorting out while installed in the case. Motherboards shorting out on the case is a common situation, and is the first thing to look for, IMHO.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 20 June 2006 - 03:01 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 RavensVigil

RavensVigil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:45 PM

I did install standoffs when I first assembled the computer.

And unfortunately, when I tried running the system outside the case as you suggested, I had the same problems, even after I went through the entire assembly process a few times very carefully.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:30 AM

Well, let's see.

If you have two sticks of RAM, remove one and try again. If problem persists, swap sticks and try again. This will tell us if one of the RAM sticks is defective. It is unlikely that both are defective.

It sounds like a mobo problem to me at this point. Go to the manufacturers site and research. Usually, there is a forum there with people who deal with problems specific to your model of mobo. It might be helpful to look through that forum, and even post there if you can't find the answer you are looking for. Beyond that, I would suggest replacing the board, however I would suggest exhausting your other options first, as I can't tell you how many times we see here at Bleeping Computer that people are quick to blame the mobo, they get it replaced and have the same issues.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users