Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to start for a first-timer

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:43 AM

I wish to learn about Linux - both as a standard operating system and for troubleshooting.

Where should I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

Hi Alexstrasza,

I would recommend downloading one of the numerous ISOs, for example the one of Ubuntu ones, downloadable here

Then either burn the ISO to CD/DVD or create a bootable USB stick and boot your PC from that. You can then boot from said device and just explore the OS and get a feeling of it without having to install it first.

Alternatively you could consider installing it in a virtualbox, if you would prefer not to reboot and you have a powerful enough PC to run both OS at a time. You will however likely run into some (minor) issues with virtuablox that you wouldn't have when using the bootable device.

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

Ubuntu is a good Linux distro to start out on. Its easy to use and if you get stuck there is a huge community for it. More than likely if you run into a problem someone else has had the same issue and you can find the answer in the Ubuntu forums.

I definitely recommend trying it out on virtualbox. Its not to hard to install both virtualbox and Ubuntu on virtualbox. You shouldn't run into any major issues with running it on there. I have run lots of different distros on virutalbox and haven't had to many issues.

Here is a tutorial

Edited by DeimosChaos, 27 December 2014 - 01:21 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

I'm using Oracle VMware VirtualBox... will try it out.

Thank you.

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

Hi Alexstrasza, and :welcome: to the Linux side of BC (Bleeping Computer)!

myrti and DeimosChaos have provided relevant input above, and as you have chosen to go the VM route, I will tailor my suggestions to that effect.

I have to go out for a couple of hours, and I note your local time. If you have not already installed eg Ubuntu using the VM tutorial/method, I would suggest you hold off until you read my next post, and follow the tips when you are fresh and awake.

If you have already installed, can you let me know?

And if NickAu swings by in the meantime, I endorse following his advice.

Later, have fun

:wizardball: Wizard

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:18 AM

Hi Alexstrasza, and :welcome: to the Linux side of BC (Bleeping Computer)!
myrti and DeimosChaos have provided relevant input above, and as you have chosen to go the VM route, I will tailor my suggestions to that effect.

I have to go out for a couple of hours, and I note your local time. If you have not already installed eg Ubuntu using the VM tutorial/method, I would suggest you hold off until you read my next post, and follow the tips when you are fresh and awake.

If you have already installed, can you let me know?

And if NickAu swings by in the meantime, I endorse following his advice.

Later, have fun

No, I haven't do anything yet. :grinner:

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,251 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:50 AM

I agree with myrti and DeimosChaos try it in VM first. If you have a second PC you may consider installing  Linux on that .

I also recommend you try Ubuntu and just for fun Puppy Linux.

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

You can create a Live disk or install it to a USB 2 GiB stick and use it on most PC's, Puppy is ideal for older machines with limited resources, and yet is also quite happy on an i5 with 8 GiB ram.

Edited by NickAu, 29 December 2014 - 12:51 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:05 AM

I don't know why you don't just start her with Linux Mint. I just installed 17.1 (32 bit) on an i686 with (what free says is) 429M of memory and it is running just fine. If you ask me it was designed for older computers too. Come to think of it every kernel is designed to run on a 386 (if I remember right). Something about Linus having mandated backwards compatibility to the i386 (since that is the processor his kernel was designed for. I think that is what I heard at a local linux group's meeting one night. Of course maybe things have changed since that meeting. I think the reason for the mandate was for hardware compatibility.

Edited by bmike1, 29 December 2014 - 01:19 AM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:09 AM

Alexstrasza

No, I haven't do anything yet. :grinner:

Good - there are some more points we need to cover first.

I note that you have a Lenovo G580 and are running Windows 7 Ultimate. It is likely you are running with an i3 or i5 processor, is that so, or otherwise?

You have 8GB of RAM, a 500GB HDD, can you tell us if your laptop runs on 32-bit or 64-bit architecture (likely 64)? It will determine which .iso you should download from the website myrti referred to abo(if you choose Ubuntu).

There is also the matter of integrity verification via md5sum or SHAsum hash algorithm checking, SHAsum is better.

When you respond we can go further.

Thanks

BTW - bmike1, I was going to suggest LMM too, as an alternative - more Windows-like

Edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 29 December 2014 - 01:10 AM.

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:16 AM

This is my laptop's Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3THD8QwibDh4tA0AJPmSDux

I thought the fact that my laptop has 8GB of RAM should make it obvious that I use x64... x32 versions of Windows 7 only support maximum 4GB of RAM.

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:31 AM

That's great about Speccy too - some of the people you meet here append their Speccy details to their posts.

I'll read that as soon as I am able.

You would also likely have one of the following:

• NVIDIA® GeForce® GT630M 1GB/2GB graphics
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT610M 1GB graphics
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000

Can you fast-track me to the answer?

:wizardball: Wiz

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:34 AM

Intel HD Graphics 4000.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,251 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:36 AM

Can you fast-track me to the answer?

Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Yes its in the speccy snapshot Alex provided

Edited by NickAu, 29 December 2014 - 01:37 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:40 AM

Phew! That's good - saves any troubles with nVidia drivers such as I have.

Have you performed integrity checks (md5 or SHAsum) on Windows before, for downloaded applications?

#15 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:41 AM

Kinda sucks because I can't play later games due to insufficient graphic card...

Phew! That's good - saves any troubles with nVidia drivers such as I have.

Have you performed integrity checks (md5 or SHAsum) on Windows before, for downloaded applications?

I have heard about MD5 before, but haven't really seen it in action yet.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 29 December 2014 - 01:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users