Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser - Proxy Server issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 comp_help2014

comp_help2014

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:32 AM

Hello,

I opened my mozilla and chrome browser today and it said Unable to connect to  the proxy server.
So in chrome I went into Settings - Show Advanced Settings - Change proxy settings - It opened
the internet properties window and I went to Connections - LAN settings and I deselected
Use a proxy server for your LAN (which was selected before). I had never faced this problem
earlier. Even in firefox its saying the proxy server is refusing connections.

After I changed the settings I could connect to the internet. I believe that deselecting that
option makes browsing insecure, is this correct? Please help me with this. Please give me the
ideal settings for the chrome and firefox browser.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

Which proxy server were you using? Selecting the option alone won't really do anything -- you have to point the browser to a specific proxy server.

Regular browsing and proxy browsing are only as dangerous as the web sites you visit. If you don't visit any questionable sites, and clear your cache from time to time, you don't have much to worry about regardless of whether you use a proxy server or not. Proxies really only serve to allow you to browse anonymously, as well as cache pages you visit regularly so they will load faster the next time.

If you have privacy concerns, try using the private browsing option:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95464?hl=en

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/private-browsing-firefox-android

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/features/in-private

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:14 AM

In future, please post your responses in the forum. PMs are for communication outside of the regular threads.

If you don't have the IP address for that proxy server, go ahead and use the private browsing options I mentioned earlier. The links will run your through how to do that in the various browser types.  The private browsing option should address your concerns if all you are worried about is someone possibly monitoring your browsing. The proxy you mentioned is, in fact, a VPN. If you are sending and receiving confidential documents, that's a good option. But if you are just a regular Internet user, that may be more than you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users