Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blu Ray / Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 k988

k988

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:11 PM

Hey running Windows 8.1.  Would like to be able to play Blu Ray discs on the ol' laptop but have heard a few different things and would like some clarification.  I've heard it's possible to play them for free using 'black market' software.  I've also heard that if you go the legit way and purchase a license, you need to install a 'Blu Ray' drive.  (To me this didn't make any sense - Win 8.1 doesn't recognize my DVDs either but stuff like VLC and Media Player Classic can still play those discs.)  Is this true?  & Finally, would like suggestions as to best software program for Blu Ray playback?  And yeah yeah have heard here about how there is no 'one size fits all solution' - but seriously, am looking for a program with a lifetime license and $50 or less.

Oh one more thing.  Would it make more sense to just buy a stand-alone Blu Ray player that I can hook up to the TV?  Then I wouldn't have to worry about (say) transferring the license to the next PC.

Thank ya

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 skyvertex

skyvertex

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

if your computer came with a blu ray drive it should have some software to play blu ray disc's installed from the get go (ex. PowerDVD 14 Ultra)

if your laptop did not come with a blu ray drive (which uses a different laser than a standard dvd drive) i recommend getting a stand-alone Blu Ray player and hooking it up to the TV as it is cheaper and easier to deal with than purchasing and installing a drive or carrying around an external drive and software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users