Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How come HTTPS isn't secure for me when it usually is?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 judyn

judyn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:39 PM

Usually when I login, am on certain part of a website, or when buying things, the https symbol is shown as a green lock but very recently when ever I go to login, buy things, or am on certain parts of websites that usually have the green lock, they no longer have a green lock but have this symbol (as shown below).

Ex. (Same website, same url, this is a real life example I snapped shot with the snipping tool on Windows 8)

Usually I would/should be getting this: bg43yq.png

Except now I sometimes, more often than not get this:  5y6nol.png

This also happens when I login to websites that are usually secured by HTTPS and show the green lock.

I have even tried to download extensions for google chrome, such as "HTTPS Everywhere" and "KB SSL Enforcer". They worked at first on some websites and fixed the problem temporarily but then the symbol with the orange triangle lock continued to show up again. I ended up deleting those extensions. I have also tried to reinstall windows and the problem had mostly gone away for a short while but then again resurfaced. Can someone explain to me what's happening and how I can fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

Please try this for me ...

Open the Chrome menu in the homepage by clicking the button with the 3 yellow bars at the top right of the menu bars.

- Select Settings

-Scroll down settings until you see the 'Advanced settings' line at the bottom.  

-Click on advanced settings

-Scroll down to the 'Change Proxy Settings' button - Click on this

- You should now see the 'Internet Properties' box

- Select 'Advanced' from the tabs at the top in the Internet Properties box

-Tick the box titled 'Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering' - (this is probably the first line under Accelerated Graphics) Click OK.

NOTE: To make the change effective you will have to restart your computer.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

Please see this article by google.  

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2014/09/gradually-sunsetting-sha-1.html
Chrome 39 (Branch point 26 September 2014)
Sites with end-entity (“leaf”) certificates that expire on or after 1 January 2017, and which include a SHA-1-based signature as part of the certificate chain, will be treated as “secure, but with minor errors”. 

The current visual display for “secure, but with minor errors” is a lock with a yellow triangle, and is used to highlight other deprecated and insecure practices, such as passive mixed content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users