Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E-mail back up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PhilC15

PhilC15

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:49 PM

does anybody know of a good e-mail back up program for the Mac....(OS X yosemite)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

What email program are you using?  Apple Mail?  Microsoft Outlook?  Something else?

If you are looking to backup just your email, then the program you are using might change the answer.

Also, what kind of email account is it?  IMAP?  POP?  Exchange (such as an Office365 email account)?  If it is IMAP or Exchange, then you kind of already have a backup in that an email messages that you have not deleted will also be stored on the email server as well as your local computer.

Now, you can always backup the whole computer (a good idea anyway), which will also backup the email.  For that, you could just use Time Machine.

#3 PhilC15

PhilC15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

I am suing Apple mail, the program that came with the Mac. (version 8.1)

I have a local provider, and it is a POP account.

I do a full computer back up about once a month.

What I  was hoping to do was to send the e-mails only to a back up program, where an e-mail or several messages could be retrieved  easily and viewed  if required .

#4 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hello PhilC15,

You have two Options backup your Mails.

1. Copy the following Folders in your backup location:

The folder home/Library/Mail
The file home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Mail.plist

2. Choose any Account in your Mail.app or several accounts with hold command-key down. Right Click and choose export... . If you have many accounts be carefully because this need lot of memory and time.

Both solutions need your intervention. You must think in regular intervals to make a backup.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

Hello PhilC15,

You have two Options backup your Mails.

1. Copy the following Folders in your backup location:

The folder home/Library/Mail
The file home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Mail.plist

2. Choose any Account in your Mail.app or several accounts with hold command-key down. Right Click and choose export... . If you have many accounts be carefully because this need lot of memory and time.

Both solutions need your intervention. You must think in regular intervals to make a backup.

There are backup programs that you could use that would allow you to just backup specific folders (such as the folder the Apple Mail stores email messages. And most of those backup programs will have the ability to run that backup automatically if you want. One that I know will do it is Intego's Personal Backup that is part of their "Premium Bundle" package. I have no doubt that there are other options, some of which will be free.

Of course, you can still do it manually...or you likely can make an AppleScript/Automator script to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users