Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk - recovering orphaned files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

in a recent thread i asked for help on how to get chkdsk to run....the only way i could get chkdsk to run was using hirens boot cd, i used the chkdsk c: /f /r command from the command prompt in hirens,

this started chkdsk right away without any problems,

the entire process (i believe it was 5 different steps) took about 3-4 hours to complete,

for a good 30-60 mins all i was seeing on the screen was.......

recovering orphaned file xxx into directory file yyy

the xxx were numbers that changed on every line, the yyy was a number that seemed to stayed consistent,

these commands were scrolling up the screen like a bat out of hell i would say at the rate of 10-20 per second, so fast i could barely see the numbers changing, this took a good 30-60 mins,

i have been getting a few corrupt file errors recently which is my reasoning for running chkdsk,

does it sound like this hard drive is on its way out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:16 PM

To open Event Viewer, click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools, double-click Event Viewer

The Event Viewer window opens and in the left hand column click the arrow next to Windows Logs.

Highlight the Application Sub directory and after a minute or so (depending on the size of your log) the center portion of the screen will populate with Application Events.

The Level, Date & Time, Source. Event ID and Task Category are displayed. The easiest way I've found is to sort  the events alphabetically by source.

Look for WINLOGON under the Source heading

There may be multiple WINLOGON entries found, so check each one. The General tab will display information about the event highlighted.

Look for something like...
CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3/5) the # of stages 3 or 5 depends on the switch(s) you assigned chkdisk when you issued the command.

To create a report for later reference...

In the displayed window under the General tab, highlight CHKDSK and press <Ctrl> + <A> to select all text within the window. Press <Ctrl> + <C> to copy. Open Notepad press <Ctrl> + <V> to paste the text.

Save it to your desktop as checkdisk log.txt or any name you wish to identify it by.

Now you have time to read all the details of your Chkdsk effort. You also have a log you can post if requested!

Feel free to post the log... I'd like to see it.

At the end of the log, look for an entry xxxKB in Bad Sectors.

This can be an indication of a failing hard drive and the need for more in-depth diagnostics.

Happy Holidays!

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

File corruption...is not necessarily an indicator of a failing hard drive.  File corruption occurs all the time, for varying reasons that may or may not have anything to do with the functional status of the hard drive.

Looking at a chkdsk log won't tell you anything about the functional status of a hard drive, IMO.  Chkdsk is a file system tool...it's only concerned with files and the file structure...which are a layer on the hard drive. 

If you want to assess the functional status of the hard drive, which is independent of the state of your file system...you need to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.  One such diagnostic is SeaTools For DOS.:

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users