Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Manual reinstall Vista OS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SamsW

SamsW

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

I'm trying to reinstall Vista OS on Dell XPS M1530.  I have all the disks.  I printed the reinstallation instructions from Dell; I've wiped the partitions, designated new partitions.  When inserting the Vista 32 bit OS disk, the screen says "hit any key to begin...". I do that and nothing seems to happen.  The optical drive stops; only the fan remains running.  I leave it alone for a couple hours but nothing seems to happen.  What am I missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

Hello, and Welcome

The disk may be bad. Try this. Tap F12 at boot with the disk in the optical drive. A boot menu should appear. Select the Optical Drive and see if the disk boots.

#3 SamsW

SamsW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

I tried the F12, boot from CD/DVD Drive. That's when I get the "Strike any key to begin..." message. I also changed the BIOS to first boot from CD/DVD Drive. When I hit any key, nothing seems to happen. How long should I wait?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

It should be immediate. You can order install disks from Dell for a nominal cost, I think it's $20. Did you wipe all partitions including the Dell Recovery Partition? If the link does not work, you can call Customer Service.

#5 SamsW

SamsW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thank you!

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hello.

Not sure if you will be back to see this or not but my guess is the Master Boot Record on your drive is borked.  There are many reasons that can cause this to happen.  If you can boot to your install disk and get to a windows DOS prompt.  Try this.

Fdisk /MBR

Then run chkdsk /f

Then run Fdisk /MBR again

Sometimes this isn't enough and the boot record is totally messed up.  In this case you can try and get a copy of gwscan and use the utility to ' write zeros to drive '

Since you are trying to do a clean install and have deleted the partitions already you wont be surprised that none of your files are still on the drive.

Good Luck hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users