Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports Stopped Working (Win7x64 Hm Prem)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tazmo8448

tazmo8448

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

On my desktop I was doing a gfx driver update (AMD Omega 14.12) from ver14.4 and running the Catalyst Uninstaller was asked to restart and in doing so without thinking booted to Safe Mode (had driver sweeper on my mind) and after choosing Safe Mode with networking all ports front and rear stopped working including mouse,KB, thumb drives and external hdds. Being unable to navigate whatsoever I plugged in another hard drive booted to it and all the usb ports worked again eliminating the MB and devices. I've run sfc/scannow several times finding no errors also I know in pwr options on the drive in question I set the usb suspend pwr at disable. I tried holding the pwr button on the tower down for more than 30 seconds after pwring down and unplugging and let it sit for over a hour hoping it may have been a thermal in the psu but that didn't change anything either. Any ideas on a workaround so as not to do a complete OS reinstall? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

Is the machine functional enough to boot to Advanced boot options by pressing F-8 at boot?

#3 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

First off thanks for your prompt response blugard and yes the ports work in Advanced boot options and BIOS but quit when going to desktop in either mode. The good news is when I used another drive (HDD) with an OS on it, I was able to boot to it and then I put in the drive in question, in this case H:\ (SSD)  and compare the windows drivers and found one usb file that wasn't listed (usbfilter.sys) in the windows32>drivers files, copied>pasted it to the SSD booted to it and bingo the first thing it did in desktop was download the drivers for the KB,mouse and thumb drives plus my 3.0 drivers for my external HDD, which I have my System Image on. Really don't know where that file went or how it got lost in the shuffle but by putting it in this solved the issue. Thanks again and color this one solved.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

Glad to hear it is sorted. I was going to suggest Last known good configuration in Advanced boot options, but alas; I am no longer need here. ;)

I would suggest, though, that one create a repair disk for future endeavours so that one may access repair tools and/or images.

Thanks for updating the thread and happy computing.

Over

#5 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

@ blugard: Last known good configuration was one of the first things I tried to no avail and yes i went ahead and made repair, recovery discs.  sfc/scannow absolutely didn't do a thing, that thing is way over-hyped imo, ran it more than three times booting inbetween and it didn't do didly, you would think file checker would see something as obvious as a missing windows usb file for crying out loud.

over & out

Edited by tazmo8448, 27 December 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

Roger,

I think sfc helped twice out of the oodles of times I have run it on mine and other computers. I wonder what a consensus would reveal about it. 

A USB driver...? No mention of the conflict in Device Manager?

I find cmd prompt, and image recovery useful in recovery console: Sometimes system restore works.

Gotta reboot. Got bleep popping up onda screen. L0L

See ya round the block, tazmo8448.

#7 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:33 AM

@ blugard no mention a'tall when i got back in, it was like nothing happened. all i know is sfc/scannow has never worked for me; it always comes back 'found no errors' yeah right....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users