Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Install XP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny45

Johnny45

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/124336/windows-xp-setup-xml-problem/ - Hamluis.

Think I got it folks! My wife suggested that I simply delete the existing partitions and further format the entire hard drive.

I did that and tried a fresh install, and I now have 6 minutes left in my set up. No, now five minutes.

I'll post back when I'm able to actually get on to my desktop.

I have tried to format a partition with windows 7 on the C: drive ,( I am trying to install XP on the Laptop which does not have a CD drive so I have to use an external one)  and I am told that I cannot format a partition with an O/S on it. Can you help,. I am getting the same errors that was posted.  Johnny Thanks

More info:   I loaded Win XP and it started to install, during installation I was told that these where missing                                                                                    cmnicfg.xml
ipcfg.xml
osinfo.xml
potscfg.xml
pppcfg.xml

Also i386    which I think is the main part of the OS. So in the end I got a Fatal error notice.   I cannot get back to the old partition to manage it, by shrinking the OS in that partition, which had been suggested. Hope this makes sense. Thanks Johnny

Edited by Johnny45, 26 December 2014 - 05:44 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Just some clarification.

The computer you are installing XP on also has Windows 7?

You want to replace Windows 7 with XP?

It uses an external CD drive and you are able to boot the XP install disk?

What is the make and model of the laptop that you want to install XP on?

#3 Johnny45

Johnny45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Just some clarification.

The computer you are installing XP on also has Windows 7?

You want to replace Windows 7 with XP?

It uses an external CD drive and you are able to boot the XP install disk?

What is the make and model of the laptop that you want to install XP on?

Your Question   1   Correct

2   Correct

3   Correct, Until listed above problems, then XP will  not install due to Fatal error

4   This maybe the important part, it is an ACER Start-up, which means it has neither floppy or cd drives

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

If the computer came with Windows 7 I would advise you to keep it. Was there some reason you prefer XP as there are no longer any security updates being offered making XP vulnerable to new forms of malware.

Does Windows 7 still boot? We can always get the key from the computer and use a Windows 7 install iso to boot a USB flash drive to complete the install.  Depending on if there is a recovery partition still available you may be able to take it back to a factory state. Do you have a model number of the Acer. I could find nothing on Acer Start-up. Is this an Aspire One?

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 December 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#5 Johnny45

Johnny45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:25 PM

If the computer came with Windows 7 I would advise you to keep it. Was there some reason you prefer XP as there are no longer any security updates being offered making XP vulnerable to new forms of malware.

Does Windows 7 still boot? We can always get the key from the computer and use a Windows 7 install iso to boot a USB flash drive to complete the install.  Depending on if there is a recovery partition still available you may be able to take it back to a factory state. Do you have a model number of the Acer. I could find nothing on Acer Start-up. Is this an Aspire One?

I have Windows 8, and I understand your thoughts on XP but I would like to keep a copy.

It is the Aspire One and I do have a disk too re-install it.

So I might re-install, try to solve the problem with formatting the partition, I realise this cannot be done with the O/S on it.  Is there not a way  to format through DOS?. Thanks John

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:37 PM

1) How could you possibly have started an XP installation if Windows 7 is still on the hard drive?

2) From where did you obtain the copy of XP you are trying to install

You will not be able to install XP until you either partition the existing hard drive or format it. No, you cannot format from "dos", not that it would matter because how would you get to dos? Windows 7 is built on the NT kernel and there is not dos.

Also, you've asked the same question on Computer Hope forums and since your situation is so confusing I'm going to lock the thread over at Computer Hope to avoid your receiving conflicting information and further confusing things here at Bleeping Computer.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:37 PM

Yes, you would need to use a bootable partition manager. Partition Wizard is a good one. Download and burn the iso file. With Windows 7 you can right click and select burn image. I am not sure about Windows 8 though. If that cannot do it you can use a program called Imgburn.

You can also use a program called Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Run it and select MBR for a partition scheme. Everything else is default. In the dropdown box that lists Freedos, select iso image and click the icon next to it. Browse to the iso file you downloades and click start. Attach the USB flash drive to the Acer and boot. You may have to change boot order in BIOS. When Partition Wizard loads select delete all partitions. Then create a new one and format it NTFS.

From here it lists F2 as the key you tap at boot to bring up a boot menu with the list of bootable devices. You could use this method to boot the USB flash drive. Some acers use the F12 key.

#8 Johnny45

Johnny45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

1) How could you possibly have started an XP installation if Windows 7 is still on the hard drive?

You will not be able to install XP until you either partition the existing hard drive or format it. No, you cannot format from "dos", not that it would matter because how would you get to dos? Windows 7 is built on the NT kernel and there is not dos.

Also, you've asked the same question on Computer Hope forums and since your situation is so confusing I'm going to lock the thread over at Computer Hope to avoid your receiving conflicting information and further confusing things here at Bleeping Computer.

Well I am very sorry if I have caused a fuss. I shall endeavour to use another site rather than cause you problems.   Johnny

By the way I purchased the O/S Legally, if you are having problems there as well.

Edited by Johnny45, 27 December 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#9 Johnny45

Johnny45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:13 PM

Yes, you would need to use a bootable partition manager. Partition Wizard is a good one. Download and burn the iso file. With Windows 7 you can right click and select burn image. I am not sure about Windows 8 though. If that cannot do it you can use a program called Imgburn.

You can also use a program called Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Run it and select MBR for a partition scheme. Everything else is default. In the dropdown box that lists Freedos, select iso image and click the icon next to it. Browse to the iso file you downloades and click start. Attach the USB flash drive to the Acer and boot. You may have to change boot order in BIOS. When Partition Wizard loads select delete all partitions. Then create a new one and format it NTFS.

From here it lists F2 as the key you tap at boot to bring up a boot menu with the list of bootable devices. You could use this method to boot the USB flash drive. Some acers use the F12 key.

Thank you very much for your help I will  try all that you have mentioned. Thank you very much for your help.   Johnny

#10 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

HEEY i own an aspire one and i am able to boot from a livedisk fine what i suggest is getting the ISO off of the harddisk (or redownloading it somehow) and using UnetBootin to create a bootable ISO flash drive then... install XP using a (grub) bootloader or similar then... setup and enjoy :D

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

#11 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

i managed to install Ubuntu on my dell DMS machine even tho i had android x86 installed on it... right from the OS itself

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

#12 Johnny45

Johnny45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:38 PM

Thank you Zach6656. I will try both of those ideas. Appreciate it Johnny

#13 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:29 AM

No problem (btw NEVER remove python in linux terminal)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users