Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Blue Screens CHKDSK Bad Clusters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Final Tactics

Final Tactics

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

Hello. My computer keeps blue screening on me. The screen always flashes by really quickly, so I'm not exactly sure what is happening. When the computer restarts it will sometimes do a CHKDSK thing. When trying to fix the problem myself, Windows also suggested I do a more thorough CHKDSK thing, so I did once. It went through five stages of verifying files, indexes, security descriptors, file data, and free space. When it was doing the fourth stage of file data verification, it apparently ran into some bad clusters and supposedly replaced them. It also corrected errors in the Volume Bitmap and made corrections to the file system. This is all that I can really make out from reading the log file created from doing the CHKDSK. But the problem still persists. My computer functionality seems to be worsening. At first my Microsoft Security Essentials stopped being able to do real time protection and I was no longer able to use Hexchat. After another crash my web browsers don't display webpage images correctly and look like they're unformatted. The crashes started happening after I let a program try to update itself. The CHKDSK logs even mention there being bad clusters in a file that looks to be associated with the program. The crashes themselves happen randomly after the computer is left on for a few hours. I'm currently running Windows 7. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

First thing I would do (if not done recently) is back up all valued files.

Then...I would run the chkdsk /r command from command prompt.  I would NOT post logs from any of these operations.

Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880

I would follow that by running the long diagnostic from SeaTools For DOS, after reading the guide..

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#3 Final Tactics

Final Tactics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

I ran the CHKDSK from the command line again. Nothing major happened. I tried to run the SeaTools program from the CD, but after two attempts, it couldn't detect a drive both times.

#4 Final Tactics

Final Tactics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:10 PM

I tried to check the connection on the harddrive by taking it out and putting it back in. The SeaTools program still didn't detect the drive. This is really puzzling because the computer can still boot from the drive.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

System manufacturer and model?  If user-built, motherboard manufacturer and model?

See Information, Option Two as a possible explanation.

Louis

#6 Final Tactics

Final Tactics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:31 PM

Changing the SATA Operation to IDE worked. The scan is running now.

#7 Final Tactics

Final Tactics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:48 AM

So the scan completed and repaired the bad sections of the drive, but now windows won't start. The auto repair can't fix the problem and doing a save restore didn't work either.

#8 Final Tactics

Final Tactics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:36 AM

I tried to start the computer with the installation disc in, and it managed to boot properly. I restart the computer without the installation disc, and it still works.

I'm still having trouble with Microsoft Security Essentials and Hexchat, but the harddrive seems fine at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users