Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help 10 year old without a Christmas present :(

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 katievo

katievo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

Hi can anyone help me , my sister brought my nephew a laptop/note book thing for Christmas off a catalogue. He opened it, tried to turn it on, blue lights came on as normal but just a black screen.. this is first time any one has messed with the laptop, thinking its a brand new laptop my sister never thought to test it first and just wrapped it up for Christmas :( 

I have searched all over the web for a solution but they all say to take out the battery which you can not on this certain laptop, but there is a button you have to push in on the underneath with a pin that resets the battery. So i have tried all the solutions found on the web but used this method instead of actually taking out the battery. 

The poor lad only asked for something for Christmas to help with his school work and now only has a printer and no laptop.

The Catalogue will not let it be returned as it has been over 28 days and only other step is to send it off to Acer to see if they can fix it but they are not open for a few days now and its so upsetting to see him without a present for Christmas.

It is a Aspire V5 - 132P touch screen   PLEASE HELP 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

Does the black screen say anything, or it's just a black screen?

#3 katievo

katievo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:14 AM

its just a black screen, Sister did press a button and it did start reading aloud what keys we were pressing so i think the laptop (although very quiet) is up and running just nothing at all is happening on screen.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:27 AM

Can you try restarting the laptop?

#5 katievo

katievo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

how?

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

Just hold down the Power button until all the lights turn off, then press it again.

#7 katievo

katievo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:41 AM

oh yeah i have done that. does not make a difference to the screen.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

That probably means there's something wrong with the screen...

You'll need to wait for somebody better in internal hardware than I am.

Sorry I could not be of much assistance.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:56 AM

How long did you charge the battery? What is the make and model of the laptop?

Usally when you have a laptop, you can remove the battery without the power adapter attached, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the adapter without the main battery and do a restart.

#10 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hi,
Assuming that you dont even see the windows logo or bios logo / messages, its the fault of your laptop screen or its cable jammed between the screen holder.
Doesnt Acer provide 1 year basic coverage to the product? If you are covered by it, its better to give work to them.

You can confirm its the issue of the laptop lcd screen by just pressing the del / f2 / esc key to boot into bios settings. Or connect a monitor [a spare one if in your fast reach] / tv (if it supports hdmi / dsub port).

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 26 December 2014 - 09:01 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#11 katievo

katievo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:00 AM

It is a Aspire V5 - 132P touch screen

The battery is none removable. I said i have already seen this method all over the web but as i cannot remove the battery i cannot do this. 

If you read my original thread you will see what i have tried and that i cannot remove battery but there is a tiny button to press with a pin. Although i have tried this and nothing worked.

Thanks Anyways

#12 katievo

katievo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:02 AM

Hi Nik yes i have got coverage by Acer but they are not open atm and i just want it fixed for my nephew for christmas :( 

And no we have never seen any logos or anything like that. 

#13 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

Thank for the reply, but try the other suggestions. May be the cables got jammed while at transit (during factory or something).
Your nephew will be able to check out his gift if the external monitor / tv method works. (and the visitors of this thread a lesson, check the package what you buy, even if its a gift, before leaving the retailer)

Merry christmas and happy holidays...
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:23 AM

From reading the owner's manual the computer should have come with a setup poster...written instructions for first setup.

If you have that poster and have followed it then your only recourse at this point is to prepare to return it and definitely don't

attempt any fixes that would allow Acer to void the warranty.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:38 AM

I just mentioned the battery removal because that is what is usually done in cases like this but yours cannot. Was the battery fully charged before use?

If you do not see a Acer logo at boot then I think this is a hardware problem but you can try the following.

With the computer on press the Fn key and the F5 key together and see if the screen appears. If not press the combination again

The Fn key + the > will increase the brightness of the screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users