Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns off shortly after starting any game

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MadSpartan

MadSpartan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:40 AM

So I recently upgraded my graphics card and installed the proper drivers for it but now, when playing any game, my computer will turn itself off after only a minute or so. I'm not sure what I did wrong here. Any help would be appreciated. 

My specs:

HP z600 workstation running Windows 7 pro 64bit

RAM: 12gb DDR3

CPU: (2) Xeon X5650

GPU: Radeon R9 290

Edited by MadSpartan, 26 December 2014 - 07:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:04 PM

My immediate thought goes to bad hardware. Perhaps the new card is defective? If your old one still works pop it back in (uninstalling new card drivers and installing old card drivers of course) and play some games. If it works fine then I would say it is a defective item. Hopefully its still in the return peroid. If not you'll be able to get it replaced via the manufacturer.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 cowsinspace

cowsinspace

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:54 PM

Another thing that could be happening is it could be overheating...just have to check your core temps...what kind of MOBO do you  have? My overheat issue was caused by the motherboard

Edited by cowsinspace, 15 January 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#4 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

If it's overheating it'll refuse to turn back on for a few minutes after shutting down. Does this happen? Is it possible that you changed any overclocking or boost settings? This could be caused by boosting too high aswell

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users