Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files mysteriously disappearing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:57 AM

One of my picture folders is missing or not able to show all the files.  In properties, it shows that it has

17,000 files at 2 gb (total) memory size but when I open the folder, I can only see about 800 files.

If I leave that folder open, I see live a new file being saved there when I save a new picture file.  It shows up right away once it's saved to that folder.  But when I exit that folder and open it again, the newest file is gone.  But in properties, it shows that there's now 17,001 files.  So it's still there i guess but not being shown?

Can anyone help?

Other notes:

-my hdd is probably needing to get replaced as chkdsk after 1% success starts to say a bunch of files are unreadable.

-I'm using windows 7, 64 bit

UPDATE:

If I do a search for the file name, it does show up in the search results and I can see ALL my files in the search results.  For some reason though it won't show up or load in the actual folder itself.

Edited by cornflakes2, 26 December 2014 - 07:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:24 AM

While there are no actual limits on how many files you can place in a folder (NTFS can theoretically handle up to 4.2 billion files in either a disk, or in a single folder), there are practical limits. 17,000 files is a lot, and JPEGs and other picture file formats tend to be fairly large files. It would take Windows Explorer several minutes to load and display all those files.

I suggest you create subfolders in that folder and organize the files a bit more.

If chkdsk is not completing, then you have bad sectors on the hard drive. I would recommend backing up your critical files to an external hard drive or a USB stick, and if necessary replacing the hard drive.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

Before replacing any drive, regardless of how obvious it may be inferred that said drive is failing, it makes sense to run a diagnostic program on the hard drive, IMO...after backing up any valued files on said drive.

Louis

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:05 AM

thanks, yes chkdsk only shows 1% success and after that every file says something like "file segment unreadable" one by one for the next 2,000 files or so but I don't let it keep running as there's 500,000 more to go so I don't know if it'll keep going like that or if it will eventually stop.  I just reboot the computer and bypass chkdsk because I don't have the time right now to let it possibly run for hours like this in chkdsk mode.

Seagate diagnostic checks fail (they never complete the tests).  

The weird thing though if I do a manual search for the missing files, they all show up in the search results and I can access them, view them, copy/move them from there.  So it doesn't seem to be that the actual files are bad or the sector those files are in are bad but something is just not allowing me to view files in my folder after about file number 800.  I'm able to save more files in that folder but when I refresh, it'll vanish but it's still there (just invisible).

I remember something like this happened to me a long time ago where I was only able to view files from letters A to M or something like that no files after M would appear but they were all there still (taking up memory).   Eventually I was able to view them all again but can't remember what the solution was.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:28 AM

Given the fact that chkdsk and the diagnostic tests are failing before completion, I'd say it's past time to replace that hard drive.

It's good to hear the files in question aren't damaged. See my earlier post about organizing them. Very large numbers of files will create problems when trying to view them in Windows Explorer.
Back up your files and replace the hard drive as soon as you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users