Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory Restore Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JerryB52

JerryB52

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:07 AM

I tried to do a factory reinstall on my laptop yesterday and it went just so far then an error box came up. At the top of the box it says: Install Windows, under and to the left is a large red dot with an X through it. It then states that:  Windows could not complete installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation.

Each time I push the button to restart it comes back to this same window...

I've tried using the restore disks that I made but with no luck.

I am not happy at this time. After doing a hard shut down last night I let it set overnight and tried again this morning with the same results...

What now???  

Thanks,  Jerry

Edited by JerryB52, 26 December 2014 - 05:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:27 AM

What type of laptop do you have? Make and model? What version of Windows 7 do you have installed? Is it the same version that was installed when you got the laptop, or did you upgrade it at some point?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

If you are using the System Recovery partition to reinstall the operating system the partition may have been compromised some how.

If you can not use the recovery partition you can download a ISO image which can be burned to a disc to create an installation disc.  Click on the version below which matches yours and download the file.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

You will need to go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers which will need to be installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hi

Make sure there are no unnecessary hardware devices connected to the system when performing the installation. (USB Drives, Printer, Camera ETC.)

Happy Holidays!

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

I tried to do a factory reinstall on my laptop yesterday and it went just so far then an error box came up. At the top of the box it says: Install Windows, under and to the left is a large red dot with an X through it. It then states that:  Windows could not complete installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation.

Thanks,  Jerry

If the C:\ drive has errors you may need to do a chkdsk and repair bad sectors , this can also be causes of errors when doing a factory install or reinstalling Windows.

#6 JerryB52

JerryB52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:50 AM

After a lot of frustration and hair pulling, I settled down yesterday and got the problem solved.

I went to "Set Up" and set the BIOS to boot to DVD then ran the "Restore Disc's".

I have to thank all of you at this site, Tech Support Guy and Microsoft Community forums. 

All is well in the world again. :)

Thanks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users