Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot with 2 sticks of RAM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 daldrome

daldrome

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:57 AM

I have been having problems booting up and I went to remove 1 stick of RAM. I've tried swapping around and as far as I can tell, the slots and both sticks for RAM are working.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz 38 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. G41M-Combo (Socket 775) 37 °C
Graphics
W1943 (1360x768@60Hz)
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (ATI AIB) 46 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EARS-00MVWB0 ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00A7B2 ATA Device (SATA) 42 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:06 AM

Hello,

First of all I would suggest updating the PC with the newest bios and chipset drivers.  Also make sure that intel xmp profile (if you have one) turned on so that the motherboard can set the correct speed. Here's a link with details: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html

Keep us updated, Citizen_WD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have a merry christmas and happy holidays

Edited by Citizen_WD, 26 December 2014 - 03:07 AM.

#3 daldrome

daldrome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

My Chipset driver is the latest version and I'm not sure how to check if my bios needs a newer driver. 

I don't have Intel XMP either.

Thank you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

The BIOS doesn't have a driver, what was being suggested was a BIOS update.  This is also called "flashing the BIOS". 

Looking at the parts list it appears that this is a custom build, so you would need to check with the motherboard manufacturer to see if there is a "suggested" BIOS update.   If there isn't a suggested update and you are not having problems related to the BIOS I would suggest that you leave it alone.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Please explain what kind of issues you are experiencing with booting. 

Edited by dc3, 26 December 2014 - 10:19 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 daldrome

daldrome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:49 AM

The BIOS doesn't have a driver, what was being suggested was a BIOS update.  This is also called "flashing the BIOS". 

Looking at the parts list it appears that this is a custom build, so you would need to check with the motherboard manufacturer to see if there is a "suggested" BIOS update.   If there isn't a suggested update and you are not having problems related to the BIOS I would suggest that you leave it alone.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes it is a custom build. 

When I have 2 sticks of RAM in my motherboard, nothing happens when I press the power button. It only powers on when I remove 1 stick of RAM from my motherboard.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 daldrome

daldrome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

Here is my Speccy log

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AgMe7CTmC81uFN2NayqrVeg

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:56 PM

When I have 2 sticks of RAM in my motherboard, nothing happens when I press the power button. It only powers on when I remove 1 stick of RAM from my motherboard.

Is this a formerly working setup that has stopped working with two sticks, or has it never worked with two sticks of the memory?

Are both memory modules the same?

Does it really just not power on at all with two sticks or does it attempt to power up and immediately switch off, turn on and start beeping, turn on and not show anything on the screen etc.

Edited by jonuk76, 26 December 2014 - 09:16 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 daldrome

daldrome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

Is this a formerly working setup that has stopped working with two sticks, or has it never worked with two sticks of the memory?

Are both memory modules the same?

Does it really just not power on at all with two sticks or does it attempt to power up and immediately switch off, turn on and start beeping, turn on and not show anything on the screen etc.

Yes it is a formerly working setup and both memory modules are the same.

With 2 sticks in, it does not power on at all - nothing shows up on the screen and my keyboard and mouse has no power. 

Edited by daldrome, 26 December 2014 - 10:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users