Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MEGA for Linux Online Storage Locker

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:47 AM

Just saw this, if your looking for a replacement to the now lack of Swiss online storage lockers, MEGA is something you can look into.  50GB for free, and 4 TB plans... just saying.  In anycase there is Linux distros supported now.

https://mega.co.nz/#blog_29 by Stuart Inglis via mega.co.nz

I know its like 3 months late, but I share what I find folks... didnt say I was cutting edge just a dull blade with a long weird past.  JP.

good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:41 AM

Hey man long time no see, You should come to the IRC chat room.

Is Kim dotcom involved in this?

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:10 AM

I know its like 3 months late, but I share what I find folks... didnt say I was cutting edge just a dull blade with a long weird past.  JP.

Hey, I always remind my wife that being late to the party means you still made it! :lol:

Thanks for the link and the info.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

I like Mega.co.nz (and was a huge MegaUpload fan), but I don't use their site because I always get terrible upload speeds (eg: 11kbps). It's nice to see they're supporting Linux.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

Is Kim dotcom involved in this?

Yes, I believe so. It was reported that he opened another storage site. Here's some information. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_(service)

You can see the link to the right that leads directly to his site, beneath "MEGA, Ltd." details. 

Gets interesting, the members are the same.  Hanna Ni (Support Assistant) & Judy Fang (Accountant) are associated with both, there may be others, but those two I seen on Kim Dotcom's site & the one posted by the OP. 

OP's About Us First:

https://mega.co.nz/#about

Kim Dotcom's About Us:

https://mega.co.nz/#about

You may have to visit the "About Us" from each site, looks like the same link for both that I posted above. 

I was going to use the storage a couple of weeks back, but after careful thought, decided not to because of Dotcom's involvement. Not because I'm judging him (innocent until proven guilty), but the NSA thing & all. US citizens that uses the service may become spied upon, I just don't want to be involved. Several of his associates have been charged with crimes, whom are also innocent until proven guilty. 

Last month, I was looking for a driver for a Dell Optiplex 740, and was directed to the site for downloading, but declined the download, not knowing what was in it. I clearly recall that was the site, the option to join & all was there. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 01 January 2015 - 02:17 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

Yes, its his new baby, after he sold the only one.  Sorry its been late

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users