Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No HDD detected after INPAGE_KERNEL_ERROR BSOD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geno93n0

geno93n0

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:34 AM

As thread title says, my laptop can no longer see my HDD in BIOS or even Ubuntu after that BSOD. It happened around 5 seconds after I plugged in my cousin's external HDD. After that, it said it was gathering data (0%) for a long time, after which I just did a hard reset. Guess that was a bad idea, because now I just get the "Insert boot device" message.

Laptop specs:

• ASUS K42JR Core i3 2.26 GHz
  • 320GB HDD (I honestly don't know the brand)
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 1GB
  • 2GB Elpida RAM (forgot frequency)
  • Windows 8.1

What I've already done:

• Searched around.
  • ​Reseated HDD and RAM
  • Tried running Ubuntu off a flash drive. It runs just fine, detects other external HDD's just fine. It just won't detect my internal HDD.
  • Left it overnight in hopes it would fix itself. It seems that other people with the same problem haven't gotten it fixed by themselves, but apparently it magically just decides to work after a while.

It seems like I've done most, if not all of what is able to be done, though I'd like to see if anyone is able to provide any additional input. Worst case, it seems like I've got a bad HDD. I think it would cost me an arm and a leg to get my stuff of it and place it on an external HDD, so if worse comes to worst, I'll probably end up booting with my external HDD from now on, short of buying a new laptop.

EDIT: Currently posting from Ubuntu on the laptop in question. Would just like to add that the HDD is spinning just fine, but the access light doesn't blink at all, even during the POST, without the flash drive stuck in.

Edited by geno93n0, 26 December 2014 - 02:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

Hi Geno93n0 ^_^,

It seems a drive failure to me. If it is still spinning you might be able to take it to a computer repair shop and have them open up the HDD and see if they could repair it. If it is in warranty, I would suggest you to contact the manufacturer.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:52 AM

Hi Geno93n0 ^_^,

It seems a drive failure to me. If it is still spinning you might be able to take it to a computer repair shop and have them open up the HDD and see if they could repair it. If it is in warranty, I would suggest you to contact the manufacturer.

Yeah, I thought so. This laptop is way past warranty. Though today while running Ubuntu it seems to have detected the HDD. It says that the disk is OK but with one bad sector. Curiously, it also says that there's no media on the disk.

#4 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hi Geno93n0 ^_^,

Yeah, I thought so. This laptop is way past warranty. Though today while running Ubuntu it seems to have detected the HDD. It says that the disk is OK but with one bad sector. Curiously, it also says that there's no media on the disk.

Bad drive if I am asked :)

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:23 AM

Definitely sounds like a failing hard drive, if you need data you can continue to try and power cycle and boot to linux, when the drive is recognized get data that is most important first. You might try GetDataBack, RStudio, or Recuva (if the drive is recognized but you see no data in linux) to get data from the drive.

If no data is needed, replace the drive and reload windows etc.

Most small tech shops won't have the ability to take the drive apart correctly for repairs, it requires a clean room and special tools. Data recovery can be done but is often quite expensive ~$1000. Driver Savers and OnTrackRecovery are a few I have used.

Edited by zingo156, 29 December 2014 - 11:25 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:21 PM

Update: Please move this to the Ubuntu forums (if they exist) from here on, as it seems that I can't install Windows 8.1 on my external HDD without formatting it, which I can't do because I have no way to back my Ubuntu data up.

In any case, Ubuntu seems to "detect" my internal HDD, labeling it "wwn-0x5000c50021775fe5". It also shows up in Disks now, with the correct model name and everything. But I can't get it to do SMART self-tests, or even refresh the drive status, getting the error:

sk_disk_open: Input/output error (udisks-error-quark, 0)

It doesn't show up in TestDisk or in the BIOS. I'm at a loss. I should probably just get a new HDD for my laptop, but they're hard to acquire where I'm from.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

It sounds like you will need to replace the drive. You can use most 2.5 inch data type drives. SSD's may be available.
If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users