Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compaq presario cq56 keyboard shortcut help please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stefox

stefox

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:15 PM

good day all,

for christmas yesterday i recieved a replacement laptop as a gift it is a compaq presario cq56 and it works great my only problem is that my media player key on my left side of my keyboard runs cyberdvd player, i removed this and installed vlc as i prefer that for my media viewing and now i am unable to run my media player through the keyboard shortcuts.

i have set file associations inside vlc

i have tried to set vlc as my default program using the default programs and features menu but couldnt find vlc player only options were current, windows media centre and windows media player, selecting either of the windows options and clicking on ok resulted in the option being reset to my current one

i cant seem to find a program installed on the machine that allows me to customize my keyboard shortcuts but the laptop was preowned but reconditioned, i have searched for a program but i can not find one for my opearating system (windows 7 home preimum)

there isnt a option to configure the shortcuts in the keyboard section of control panel

and as a last resort i tried to change the fill association that is in the registry location relating to the appkey (the value is 16 and the default file association was .CDA i changed this to .mp3 hoping that that would allow me to load vlc player as default but it didnt work)

i attempted to set the vlc media player shortcut on the desktop to the media key but it wouldnt allow it, windows refused to change the box from none, but other keys were allowed and worked.

the short version

pressing media key on keyboard originally ran cyberdvd i uninstalled this program and the keyboard shortcut didnt work after this, i have tried to set up vlc as the default media player but seem to be at a impass, any help to get my media key to run vlc would be greatly appreciated.

thank you very much for your time

stefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:14 AM

See this HP thread. You want to change the registry key shown to the path for VLC.

Cyberlink PowerDVD/Mediasmart Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MobilePc\HotStartButtons\2  "Application" = "C:\Program File(x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD9\PowerDVD9.exe"; Change the string value "C:\Program File(x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD9\PowerDVD9.exe"

#3 stefox

stefox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

i may be missing something simple but all i have is (default) and association. i changed the default to point to vlc media player but still get nothing when i hit the key sorry if im being a pain

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

You don't have the HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MobilePc\HotStartButtons\2  registry key?

#5 stefox

stefox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:19 AM

my apologies i didnt realise HKLM was a acryonym, i found the address under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE changed the one you stated to vlc player rebooted and it works great now.

thank you very much :) that was the only thing that bothered me, now i just have to relearn how to touchtype on this keyboard so i can stop running calculator when im trying to paste something :)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:14 AM

Your Welcome,

Glad you got it to finally work and thank your for the update. I am not sure about your calculator reference. The calculator comes up when you use Ctrl+V to paste something?

#7 stefox

stefox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

thats ,mainly cos i lose track of my fingers and hit calc instead of ctrl:( not a huge problem now im getting used to the keyboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users