Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What antivirus will continue to support windows XP after XP shoutdown

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

As the title says what antivirus will continue to support XP till 2016

Edited by hamluis, 26 December 2014 - 11:07 AM.
Moved from XP to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

they call me te java mayster

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:06 PM

Cant see why any Free Antivirus wouldnt work , XP support would only be No Updates from MS.

I run a Xp Machine SP1 and havent installed any MS Updates for over 5 yrs , but thats my decision , and no issues , only used for downloads and browsing , Avast and Zone Alarm Free installed.

Some people still run Win 98 and no support provided there anymore.

#3 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:28 PM

Hi awesomecooldude101,

Any free AV will update just fine on XP with one exception which is Microsoft Security Essentials.

Donna :)

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#4 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:16 AM

Yea, Microsoft SE is somewhat "locked" on, and, at the same time, "tagged" to the last Windows XP shutdown version (which is happened already), and is also named XP at the end of name on some downloading portals, like at FileHippo (http://filehippo.com/). That would be a normal choice.

As of else, the titles are:
..most popular,

1. avast!

2. AVG

3. Avira

4. Dr. Web

5. Nod32

..also, there are Norton and Kaspersky on-demand scanners.

https://security.symantec.com/http://www.kaspersky.com/security-scan
P.S. Use ImgBurn; the BEST DVD-writing software, that is available on today! ..which is also a freeware!! :D

Edited by rhino1366, 26 December 2014 - 01:32 AM.

#5 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:26 AM

thanks guys you see this is for my mums computer and she isn't that tech savvy we are right now using avast! and its really slowing down the pc will try out zone alarm and nod32 as it seems like a good av :thumbup2:

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:20 AM

thanks guys you see this is for my mums computer and she isn't that tech savvy we are right now using avast! and its really slowing down the pc will try out zone alarm and nod32 as it seems like a good av :thumbup2:

Avast shouldnt slow it down that much , Is this a very old computer ?

AVG will slow it down even more , Nod32 uses low resources but havent tried it myself.

And stated in last post - Zone Alarm is my Firewall not Antivirus.{ If i confused you }.

#7 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,412 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:47 AM

Avast shouldnt slow it down that much , Is this a very old computer ?

AVG will slow it down even more , Nod32 uses low resources but havent tried it myself.

And stated in last post - Zone Alarm is my Firewall not Antivirus.{ If i confused you }.

In addition:

If this is your Mom's computer and she is not tech savvy, it might be a good idea to start a thread in the Am I Infected? What Do I Do? forum to ensure she isn't infected, has 2 AV's installed, clean out the excessive foistware that may have been installed looking of shopping deals, playing games, etc., etc.

As Havachat had asked, tell us more about the computer, such as age, Operating System, and so on.

A cat named ugly

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:48 PM

These Anti-Virus Software Products Will Continue to Protect XP after the End of Support

...The best news where this issue is concerned comes from the manufacturers of security software: with security suites continuing to provide updates for their software on XP systems after 8th April for at least one year or even longer depending on the manufacturer in question. Some companies have even promised to keep providing updates for two years and others have yet to plan any deadline whatsoever for the end of support. At the end of this article, you will find a list of all of the statements made by manufacturers of security software with regard to this matter that we have compiled for your information...

Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation

...those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution

Webroot SecureAnywhere will support XP until 2019...it has Identity Shield & Web Shield to protect online banking, shopping and block bad web sites so it is a good choice.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

before we were using Kaspersky but that expired and went on a trial for avast but as I said before it slowed down the computer. I started using avast as I heard it was quite good. It is an acer aspire 3500 7 year old (going on 8) pc.

Edited by awesomecooldude101, 26 December 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#10 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:33 PM

Webroot SecureAnywhere will support XP until 2019...it has Identity Shield & Web Shield to protect online banking, shopping and block bad web sites so it is a good choice.

thanks quietman7 we will also try that if we don't like eset

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

You're welcome.

I prefer ESET myself but XP support ends in 2017 unless they extend it.

#12 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

In addition:

If this is your Mom's computer and she is not tech savvy, it might be a good idea to start a thread in the Am I Infected? What Do I Do? forum to ensure she isn't infected, has 2 AV's installed, clean out the excessive foistware that may have been installed looking of shopping deals, playing games, etc., etc.

As Havachat had asked, tell us more about the computer, such as age, Operating System, and so on.

(didn't know how to quote this sorry)

I know my mums pc isn't infected because there are no symptoms of an infection other than the slowness but that I'm pretty sure isn't malware as she hasn't defragged the disk or cleaned the registry ever. I told her I'd do It for her one day but never got to it :hysterical:

Edited by awesomecooldude101, 26 December 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#13 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

now leaning between Comodo firewall and zone alarm oh and donnaB its just that I saw zone alarm as an antivirus on android so that's why I thought that it would be the same for windows. But it must be different, never used it before

#14 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,412 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

Basic maintenance with removing temp files, Disk Cleanup and a good defrag probably wouldn't hurt (in that order), but I am one of many that would discourage cleaning the registry unless you know what you are removing.

When did she notice the slow down occur? After Kaspersky expired and you installed Avast? Many AV's need a special tool to remove the residual files left behind that can cause slowness. Hence, my suggestion to post in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum to view any leftovers that might be running and/or lurking in the shadows.

As a side note: Just because there are no symptoms does not necessarily mean the system is clean of adware, PUP's, etc. that could slow a system down.

Edited by DonnaB, 26 December 2014 - 06:52 PM.

A cat named ugly

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

... she hasn't defragged the disk or cleaned the registry ever. I told her I'd do It for her one day but never got to it

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.
Please read: Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users