Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notepad disappears while typing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fullthrottle

fullthrottle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:13 PM

I opened a notepad that I had previously saved(under the title "girlfriend") and then began to type more information onto it. I was going along fine and had typed much. Then, I looked up after typing some more and the notepad was not on the screen and not in listed in the taskbar.
I did the following:
1) I pressed alt-tab and it was not listed.
2) I then closed all open tasks and then pressed alt-tab again and nothing showed at all
3) I reopened the notepad "girlfriend" from My Documents and the newly typed information was not there
4) I left for about 2 minutes and when I got back the screen showed another copy of the notepad titled "girlfriend" in the taskbar (so now two were "open"). I opened this new one and it had an "error" message that said SOMETHING like: The notepad(or maybe it said function) has been stopped(or maybe it said closed) by the user. (I didn't get the exact words written down). The message gave the option to click OK and I did and the message and the open notepad behind the "error" message closed.
So, I lost the typed material as the orignally opened notepad "closed itself"(even though I was never prompted to save changes) and it then perhaps opened itself back up with a strange screen message AFTER I reopened the basic "girlfriend" notepad from My Documents.
What happened? Is there any way I can recover the valuable typed text? Is there some key or combo of keys on a keyboard that would close a notepad and that were accidentally hit, somehow? What is that "error message" about it being closed by the user and is there a list of notepad potential meaasges somewhere? Thank-you for any replies.

Edited by fullthrottle, 26 December 2014 - 07:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users