Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Hijacked Hosts Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PEDALPOWERWORKBIKES

PEDALPOWERWORKBIKES

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:32 PM

I am new here and have installed both Rkill and Hijack This for my cleaning needs.

My GF somehow got spybot downloaded on her computer and it is corrupted.  I have removed the program, and the folder cannot be found in the C: drive so I am assuming it is gone,

But the Hosts files are Hijacked to the tone of 15,000+ files operating during her startup.....

I have included the file below......can you guys advise me on the best options to remove these multiple files? 

I have tried to reset the Windows Host files to default but ther reboot with each time i restart the computer

Attached File  Rkill.txt   1.39KB   3 downloads

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PEDALPOWERWORKBIKES

PEDALPOWERWORKBIKES
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:54 PM

If you can recommend a good cleaner to handle the host files please let me know.  There are 15,000 of them ....and i need a scanner that will find them....

PS.......Merry Chakwanzamas

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:08 AM

There are several legitimate security programs which can add numerous entries to the HOSTS file. Spybot S&D offers four levels of protection to include...Immunization, Resident SDHelper, TeaTimer, Hosts file protection (adding entries).

If you use Spybot's immunization feature, the "Global (Hosts)" profile adds entries to the HOSTS file. Any inactive domains and those reported as false positives will be removed when doing immunization. However, the large size of the Hosts file created by Spybot immunisation has sometimes been reported to cause problems such as a significant delay when opening Internet Explorer.

If you perform an "Undo" via the Immunize button on the Spybot main screen, the entries Spybot added should be removed. From the Immunize panel, deselect the Hosts file protection as follows:
  • Click the Undo option at top of screen to remove all immunisations.
  • Uncheck Global Hosts...the last item in the list.
  • Click Immunize option at top of screen to re-apply immunization without the Hosts entries.
If you encounter issues with Spybot's HOST file feature (including removal and restoration), they should be reported here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users