Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Upon Logging Into Desktop..Again

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

I did a post a few months ago about having a black screen upon logging on but after cancelling a few services and programs that i didn't need on start up it finally started to work again but the problem has started yet again it seems. This time it's taking nearly 5 minutes for the desktop to finally appear which is far too long i think considering i have cancelled many services + programs as i said. Also, my PC has zero malware or viruses on it as i have checked.

Edited by Miguel_92, 25 December 2014 - 06:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:45 PM

What are the specs on your hardware? HDD size and free space? Security program(s) installed, current?

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

HDD size is 500 GB but it's really 453GB. I'm using AVG Internet Security 2015 with Malwarebytes Pro installed. At bootup i've only got MB,AVG and my audio running and as i said i have cancelled a number of services yet it still takes years to make the desktop appear. Just to note it's a Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate machine with 3GB Ram.

Edited by Miguel_92, 25 December 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

HDD size is 500 GB but it's really 453GB. I'm using AVG Internet Security 2015 with Malwarebytes Pro installed. At bootup i've only got MB,AVG and my audio running and as i said i have cancelled a number of services yet it still takes years to make the desktop appear. Just to note it's a Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate machine with 3GB Ram.

Could be Malware or Startup items issue or really anything at this stage.

Personally i would reformatt the drive after backing up anything you need eg Docs photos etc.

If this is a Laptop does it have a manufactures factory restore ? 

Otherwise you could download Speccy from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

And post the results for us to look at as a starting point.

#5 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:28 PM

Could be Malware or Startup items issue or really anything at this stage.

Personally i would reformatt the drive after backing up anything you need eg Docs photos etc.

If this is a Laptop does it have a manufactures factory restore ? 

Otherwise you could download Speccy from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

And post the results for us to look at as a starting point.

I think it's a startup service of some sort as i've stopped running various services already and i've ran malware + anti virus scans and they have come up clean on both occasions when this has happened. Also, it's a HP PC so it has a recovery partition but i do not really want to do a clean install if i can help it.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

Do you have the installation disk so you can try a startup repair when you boot from the disk?

Dick

Edited by hamluis, 26 December 2014 - 02:41 PM.

Dick E

#7 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

Ah yes i did try that but it basically said the disk couldn't repair the error and it was attempting to repair my computer for about 25 minutes until it came up with that message. I might do a clean install actually because programs and my internet browser stop responding if i click them even once which is a new thing.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

I agree that a reformat and clean install might just be the easiest solution for your existing problem(s)

Dick

Dick E

#9 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:32 PM

I was going to do a clean install when it happened the first time but as i said i fixed it so i left it in the end. Now everything is taking ages to load and when i try to load a program it will load but it will not respond. Just need to do the backups and then i can reboot and hopefully i wont get the problem again.

#10 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

My computer actually loaded a tad faster today but it wasn't flying to the desktop at a major speed like it used to. Need to wait for my brother to get some stuff from his account then i can finally do the clean install. Something random flashed up in command prompt and i think it said something about windows installer but i didn't catch the rest and it appeared for about 3 seconds.

Edited by Miguel_92, 27 December 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#11 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

Update : I've found the cause of the problem regarding the black screen and it was my graphics card driver so i've uninstalled it in the hope that when i download it again it won't give me the black screen anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users