Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

Merry Christmas - or Happy Holidays - to all here at BC!

I don't see a specific section for Firefox or Web Browsers, so I figured this was the next logical place to post this little problem.

Every time I close Firefox - whether it be by clicking the close button at the top right, or by using File>Exit, I get an error message after the browser closes. It says that Firefox crashed, and requests a report. I haven't sent a report - not that I don't trust Mozilla, but I'm perplexed as to why Firefox would return this message when I close it.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Edited by hamluis, 25 December 2014 - 05:29 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:21 PM

Not sure what is causing it but you could try to reset Firefox and see if that solves the problem.

Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems

Just a warning - if you reset Firefox you will loose all your extensions and themes, website-specific preferences, search engines, download history, DOM storage, security settings, download actions, plugin settings, toolbar customizations, user styles and social features.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

Every time I close Firefox - whether it be by clicking the close button at the top right, or by using File>Exit, I get an error message after the browser closes. It says that Firefox crashed, and requests a report. I haven't sent a report - not that I don't trust Mozilla, but I'm perplexed as to why Firefox would return this message when I close it.

Probably Firefox , you could check the Firefox Forums for any further info.

Or try un-installing and reinstall or try a repair of Firefox.

I gave up on Firefox 12 mths ago after Ver 28.0 Updates, with continous Not Responding , uninstalled it and started using Maxthon Browser.

Never looked back and does the job with alot of extras , or you could try Chrome or IE but never liked them either.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

I had issues one time when one of my FF's were not updated and Synced, it affected all others:  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-crashes-troubleshoot-prevent-and-get-help

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:31 PM

Well, DUH! I didn't think about checking the FF forums. BC is and has been, since I discovered it, my sole go to site for help.

As an aside, I also use GOM media player for video playback. It does the same thing - when I intentionally close it, I get a message telling me that the program has crashed. Pretty weird, since the two apps are totally unrelated.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 25 December 2014 - 11:32 PM.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:07 AM

Okay, just wanting to check in here with a brief report...

Resetting Firefox did not work. Uninstalling and then reinstalling Firefox did not work (although, I have to wonder if that has something to do with the fact that I used FEBE to save all extensions and settings). GOM Player is also continuing to behave in the same way, and as with Firefox, uninstalling and reinstalling has no effect.

Furthermore, Windows Explorer - randomly and with no apparent cause - stops running, and has to restart itself. All that I could find about this issue is that usually it has something to do with right-clicking on something. This is not the case with me. I can simply be reading a web page, not clicking anything, and Windows Explorer will crash and restart itself.

Please, in the name of all that is holy, don't tell me that I'm going to have to do a wipe of my system drive and reinstall Windows 7. I have so much frakkin' stuff on here, it will take me a week to reinstall everything... :(

Snowden03.png

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

Probably Firefox , you could check the Firefox Forums for any further info.

Or try un-installing and reinstall or try a repair of Firefox.

I gave up on Firefox 12 mths ago after Ver 28.0 Updates, with continous Not Responding , uninstalled it and started using Maxthon Browser.

Never looked back and does the job with alot of extras , or you could try Chrome or IE but never liked them either.

No Chrome, no IE, no how, no way.

I tried Maxthon for a short while, and do still have it installed, mostly for testing browsers with HTML stuff that I do. I don't use it regularly, but I suppose I could give it a shot and see how I actually like it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Snowden03.png

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:54 AM

Does the problem still happen if you start Firefox in "Safe Mode"?

Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

Does the problem still happen if you start Firefox in "Safe Mode"?

Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode

It does not. According to the Firefox site, this probably means the issue is an add-on or plugin. That being the case, I suspect it is something to do with Flash - I have been to some sites that insist I either do not have Flash, or that it needs to be updated. I am using the latest version of Flash, so I know that is incorrect. I will do the troubleshooting process and see what happens.

This still does not explain, though, the issue with GOM Player and Windows Explorer. Those can wait, though - one thing at a time...

Snowden03.png

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Uninstall Flash using their uninstaller application and then reinstall.

http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users