Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Sharing Files From External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 topper8281

topper8281

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hey guys. I'm having a strange problem where I cannot share files from my external hard drive (Seagate) over my home network. The error I get when I double click on the folder from the other computer is "You do not have permission to access \\[my ip address]\test. Contact your network administrator to request access". The problem is strange because I can share any file on my other hard drives just fine. All the sharing, security settings, and owner settings are virtually identical on the folders I've tested with, so I'm kind of at a loss here.

I'd also like to throw in that password protected file sharing doesn't work at all for me with any files period. When I turn that on, I get a separate error from the other computer that says "\\[my ip address] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

The computer I'm trying to share from has Windows 8.1 pro installed. The computers I've tested with have Windows 7 Home and Windows Vista Ultimate. Any help is appreciated guys.

Edited by topper8281, 25 December 2014 - 03:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 topper8281

topper8281
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:35 AM

I guess no one had any idea about this problem. At any rate I needed to reinstall Windows because I got a new processor and that fixed the problem I was having. So this is no longer an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users