Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro 230 (slim) Memory/Ram compatibility

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first post!

As the title says, I have this Vostro 230 (slim) that I purchased relatively cheaply with the intent of doing some upgrades as I went along. 

The machine came with 3GB ram (2gb + 1gb), so I felt confident it could go to 4GB, and it did with no issues. But my curiosity got to me when I was reading a thread on Dell that mentioned folks running 8GB although the G41 chip set with bios 1.4 was not recognizing that it could be done. 

Right now I am running a Q9650 Quad core, with 4Gb ram, 1pc Samsung and the other Nanya. This is non-ecc and unbuffered ram, the Vostro G41 seems to agree with it.

However, there is word on the Internet that in fact these machines can run 8GB (2x4gb) if you find the right memory, apparently not all brands will work.

Dell and Crucial recommend only 4gb total, but I would like to challenge that idea.

I am using the on-board video card (for now) and a Seagate1TB HSSD.

If anyone has had experience with these machines, or knows of a thread to follow on this topic, please let me know!

Thank you in advance.....

Frosty134

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

What OS are you running?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 frosty134

frosty134
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

What OS are you running?

windows 7 Pro x 64. I had read that 32bit versions of the OS would not support more than 4gb. I purchased this ram

Hynix HMT351U6CFR8C-H9 N0 AA   4gb x 2. Saw it listed in a thread on Dell. I wanted to give it a shot.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

That is correct the x32 version only sees 4GB. I'm running an AMD CPU and16GB currently[8x2]. Have you verified that the BIOS is current? Also, have you gone into the settings and confirmed that all of the RAM slots are live? [for my box it's tapping the DELETE key while it boots to get to the screens need fo those changes] can't remember hat it is for the Dell - sorry.

Dick

Dick E

#5 frosty134

frosty134
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

That is correct the x32 version only sees 4GB. I'm running an AMD CPU and16GB currently[8x2]. Have you verified that the BIOS is current? Also, have you gone into the settings and confirmed that all of the RAM slots are live? [for my box it's tapping the DELETE key while it boots to get to the screens need fo those changes] can't remember hat it is for the Dell - sorry.

Dick

Hi, I have 2 x2GB DDR3 running on the board now, the lack of memory support has been reported to be an issue with the Intel G41 chipset v1.4 (latest)

that holds the memory back to a max of 4GB.However as I said, a thread on Dell using the Hynix memory reportedly worked. 

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

You're outside my comfort zone now. I pretty much have to stay within the lines when it comes to making suggestions for others. I will play with my system as I can usually fix what I break.

Dick

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users