Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Fan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 big_bopper180

big_bopper180

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:03 AM

I run a EVGA nVidia 7600GT. I love the card, problem is its really f***ing loud. I ordered it off newegg and the reviews said it was so it's normal. I was wondering, though if anyone knows of a way yo make it quieter without messing it up. I already tried Rivatuner but that didn't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:03 PM

Put a quieter aftermarket HSF on it. That's what I did with my 7800GTX.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 big_bopper180

big_bopper180
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:38 PM

Noob question: what is an aftermarket HSF and how much do they cost?

Edited by big_bopper180, 20 June 2006 - 01:42 PM.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

HSF = HeatSink and Fan

An aftermarket HSF is one you buy separately from you graphics card and have to mount yourself after removing the HSF that came on the card. Price is generally between 20-50 bucks.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:33 PM

Just get the Zalman VF-900, it is very quiet and can do a whole lot more cooling with that tiny fan. Look around on PriceWatch and I believe the cheapest one there is around $38 shipped. All your heating problems should be gone after this is installed.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users