Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating On Battery Even When Plugged In

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stickleyc

stickleyc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

I have a Toshiba p35-2609 that I've had just over a year. I am using a replacement AC adaptor (dog chewed the cord on the original) that meets the specs of the original.

I will be using the computer on AC power when suddenly the screen will dim as if i've unplugged from AC. The indicator light on the computer that shows that the AC is plugged in is still lit but the battery charging light indicator is not on and the computer is operating on battery power. I can unplug and plug back in, adjust power properties, etc. and nothing changes. If I shut down the computer, as soon as the system shuts down, the battery charging indicator comes back on and I can restart the computer and it will be fine...until the next time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

Well, it could be a lot of things, but the first two most obvious things are:

1) The AC adaptor is bad

or

2) The little DC power jack on the motherboard is bad. By 'bad' I mean loose or corroded. It is fairly common to need these replaced. The jack is the female part that you plug the AC adaptor into.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users