Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung Galaxy Tab4 DNS questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 E. Guido Soda

E. Guido Soda

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

I posted this earlier in the networking forum, but I think it is also relevant here.  Let me know if anyone has any ideas:

Need some help on a DNS issue - stop me if you've heard this one before...

I recently resolved a longstanding DNS issue on my PC; I was getting "unable to resolve the servers DNS" messages, etc. While I _somehow_ managed to fix the issue on the PC, my son just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab4 which seems to be having the same issue. Actually, now that I check, the iPhones cannot connect but my iPad can connect. Not so much worried about the phones, but if I don't get his tablet online, and quick, I'm not sure what he's capable of...

I tried to change the DNS settings in the "Modify Network Config" fields of the Tab4:

I read that in order to change the DNS settings on the Tab4, you had to change from DHCP to static, so I did that. When I tried to change to the recommended DNS settings, the "Save" field at the bottom greyed out and wouldn't let me save the changes.

The settings are as follows:

Static IP - 192.168.1.111

DNS 1 - 192.168.1.254

DNS 2 - 8.8.4.4 - (this field is greyed out from the outset)

Anyway, any help on the matter is appreciated.

Thx,

EGS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

I'm guessing DNS 1 is your gateway ip address. I am also assuming your static IP is outside the IP range that your DHCP server is using. DNS 2 is one of Googles DNS servers. Try changing DNS 1 to 8.8.8.8 . This is the other DNS server of Google.

#3 E. Guido Soda

E. Guido Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

I'm guessing DNS 1 is your gateway ip address. I am also assuming your static IP is outside the IP range that your DHCP server is using. DNS 2 is one of Googles DNS servers. Try changing DNS 1 to 8.8.8.8 . This is the other DNS server of Google.

Can't change the DNS fields....actually, I can change them, I just can't _save_ them when I change the numbers in the field.  The "Save" button greys out when I change anything in the DNS 1 field.  DNS 2 field is greyed out always.

Edited by E. Guido Soda, 25 December 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

If 192.168.1.254 is your router can you change the DNS servers in the router Web interface?

#5 E. Guido Soda

E. Guido Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

If 192.168.1.254 is your router can you change the DNS servers in the router Web interface?

I suppose, but will that affect all the other devices?  Will I need to change them all, as well?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

If your other devices are using the gateway for the DNS server then nothing changes. Even if you change the DNS servers on the router, the devices will still use the DNS servers in the Windows settings.  I am not sure of the Apple devices though. You router may have your modem IP address at the DNS server. Just make a note of what the ip is now so you can revert.

#7 E. Guido Soda

E. Guido Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

If your other devices are using the gateway for the DNS server then nothing changes. Even if you change the DNS servers on the router, the devices will still use the DNS servers in the Windows settings.  I am not sure of the Apple devices though. You router may have your modem IP address at the DNS server. Just make a note of what the ip is now so you can revert.

Changed the DNS settings in the router to no avail...

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

Sorry, I am pretty much out of ideas on this. When you tried connecting to the wireless network with the Galaxy, did it ask you to provide a password?

#9 E. Guido Soda

E. Guido Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Sorry, I am pretty much out of ideas on this. When you tried connecting to the wireless network with the Galaxy, did it ask you to provide a password?

I figured it out - set all the devices, including the Galaxy, to the trusty 208.67.222.222 DNS; worked like a charm.  Thanks for your help...

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

Yep, I was going to mention OpenDNS but I saw that one Google DNS. I'm surprised Google DNS did not work though. Glad you got it sorted out.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 December 2014 - 07:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users