Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dumb question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:03 AM

Have just installed Macrium Reflect Free, with an eye to upgrading to the Pro version if I find I like it.  Computer is a 1+ year old Dell laptop, Windows 8.0, with a singe "1 TB" hard disk (in reality 931.51 GB usable, no need to explain that <G>).  The Macrium analysis reveals no less than 7 partitions, as follows:

1. ESP, FAT32 (LBA), total size 500,0 MB, 449.8 MB free

2. DIAGS, FAT32 (LBA), total size 40.0 MB, 512 B used (but 40.0 MB free <G>)

3. Microsoft reserved partition, unformatted, total size 128.0 MB, 0 MB free

4. WINRETOOLS, NTFS, total size 490.0 MB, 204.7 MB free

5. Windows (C:), NTFS, total size 918.19 GB, 814.83 GB free

6. no name, NTFS, total size 450.0 MB, 437.7 MB free

7. PBR image, NTFS, total size 11.75 GB, 733.8 MB free

It gives the beginning and ending addresses of each partition.

OK, I know what some of this is - #4 is the system recovery partition, #5 is the C:\ drive, but could somebody please explain the rest of it?  I do like to understand the nuts and bolts.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

Not a dumb question. What ever happened to a simple 2 partition setup? Welcome to EFI/GPT on a OEM computer.

partition 1 - EFI System Partition required for GPT disks
partition 2 - Partition for Diagnostics - is this a Dell?
partiiton 3 - MSR - Microsoft Reserverd Partition
partiiton 4 - WinREtools partition - Can be used for one button recovery
partition 5 - Your Windows Partition with all your programs
partition 6 - If you upgrade to 8.1 Microsoft creates a new recovery partition.   
partition 7 - PBR image -  Your recovery image restored from using push button recovery in partition 4

GPT disk FAQ by Microsoft

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 December 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

Ah, thanks, that's very helpful.  Now I just need to think about what to image (the whole thing?) and what to back up (files and folders?) in Macrium.  I already have multiple plain-Jane file/folder backups on 3 external hard drives (not connected to computer except when backing up, one kept off-site).

Yes, it's a Dell, one of the two Dell laptops I tried and failed to upgrade to Win 8.1 <G>.  Now decided to let sleeping Dells lie until time to upgrade to Win 10.  They work fine in Win 8.0 (with the Classic Shell).  I'm not (yet) doing anything very complicated with either of them.  Biggest job so far is digitizing about 25,000 Kodachrome slides . . . extremely tedious, but not very complicated, worst part is cleaning the slides (after years in storage) before scanning them

Question arising, though: what happens to the PBR system and associated partitions when you upgrade to Win 10?  Or don't we know yet how that is going to play?

Was hoping, finally, to get around to building new desktop . . . and now thinking maybe better wait till Win 10 is out (and shaken down a bit) so I can do a clean install?  Or go ahead with Win 8.1, and then later back up all data, do a clean install of Win 10 and restore the data from backup?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:48 PM

I can tell you that with a Windows 7 computer using Windows 7 own system image tool, you have to image the whole disk. I am pretty sure you can do partitions separately on a GPT disk with Macrium but I would contact their support site to verify that. With Macrium images, you can mount them as virtual drives so you can explore all the files in the image and copy them to your physical hard drive(s).

In regards to what happens to the PBR image if you upgrade to Windows 10, I am not sure. If you used it, it would take you back to Windows 8. But, there have been issues with the reset/refresh options of Windows 8 not working any longer after updating to 8.1 through the store. Hopefully Microsoft will provide some kind of physical disk so a clean install can be achieved but I doubt it.

I remember your nightmare thread of updating to 8.1. Maybe that is why you have the new partition even thought the update was unable to complete.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 December 2014 - 01:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users