Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Artifacts When Screen Turns On

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 woop17

woop17

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:10 PM

Hello! I'm new here, so if there's anything I forgot to include in the post, feel free to let me know!

I've been having an issue with my screen for the past few months. Sometimes, when the screen turns on, whether it be from start-up or out from sleep mode, the screen will tend to do one of three things:

1.) Be covered in small vertical lines that appear to be only in one region of the screen (usually the center), which seem to disappear a few minutes after logging in

2.) Be covered in small vertical lines on the entire screen that never go away

3.) Display a gray screen

In the case of #2, this has only ever occured after coming out of sleep mode. The corners of the screen will be dark (I've noticed the upper right corner tends to be a dark blue) and whatever was on the screen before the computer went into sleep mode will appear constantly on the screen. When this happened to me the second time a paused YouTube video was on the screen last. After the screen turned on after it had been in sleep mode for a little bit, when I scrolled down, switched tabs, displayed the desktop, logged off, and shut down, the a ghost-like, transparent image of what had been on the screen before appeared, including the browser, taskbar, etc. Even after shutting down, as soon as I powered back on the laptop it was still there (I immediately shut back down after reaching the log-in screen and left it for a few hours; when I came back, the image was gone on start-up but #1 was occuring).

In the case of #3, this has occured both out of sleep mode and at start-up. Different screens will appear with varying hues of gray and different 'patterns' on them. One of the first I found was a light gray screen, with what looked like water droplets all over it. The top was a very light gray and got darker as it went down, like a gradient. It seemed to brighten over time. Another one was a more charcoal color with somewhat thick vertical white stripes on it, unevenly placed. There were also thin screen stripes. When I hit the Windows button on my keyboard to bring up the start menu, the screen lit up in the region where the start menu would appear. Additonally, when it once appeared during start-up, when the Windows logo would typically appear during the process, the center of the screen began to brighten where it should be. The one I've been getting lately has simply been a dark charcoal color and does not light up at all. I had been able to get it to disappear completely by logging out and logging back in using shortcut keys, but this hasn't worked for #2.

When any of these things happened I have not observed any common program/application open or any overheating, and it happens whether it is plugged into the power source or not.

I apologize if this all sounds confusing - it's rather difficult to try to explain these things. I have pictures of #2 and #3, but they were taken with my cell phone and will be of poor quality. I would be glad to provide them if needed to clarify things.

Initially, when the problem first presented itself, I immediately updated my video card and chipset drivers. This did not work. I later took my laptop to a computer repair shop, and the technician there said he could not get the computer to re-create the problem no matter what he did. He also updated Windows, removed some minor Malware, and updated some drivers (he only mentioned the video card). One day after recieving the laptop back from the shop the problem began again, and has been occuring ever since. It does not occur in any pattern and is sporadic - sometimes it occurs, others it will not, and it is impossible to predict which type of screen will appear.

I am at the end of my rope here. Any assistance will be appreciated!

SYSTEM SPECS:

Computer: Alienware 18 laptop

RAM: 8 GB

CPU: Intel Core i7-4700MQ; 2.40 GHz

Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M; 4038 MB

I apologize if I left out anything important. Thank you for your time and consideration!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

Boot into Safe to see if this occurs while in that mode.

Let us know the results.

Edited by dc3, 25 December 2014 - 11:04 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 woop17

woop17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

Sorry for the late response.

Initially, I missed the key for the advanced boot options and booted normally - everything was normal.

When I restarted and managed to get into safe mode, everything was also normal.

I've noticed that the problems show before any boot options appear. I usually notice it on the BIOS splash screen, where I can see the small vertical lines on the loading bar and image, or one of those gray screens has already appeared.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:40 PM

This problem does not occur once you are booted into Windows?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 woop17

woop17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

It still occurs once booted into Windows - sometimes it goes away after I've logged into an account, other times it remains even after I've restarted the computer (in the case of that 'ghost image' that remained on the screen even after a reboot but disappeared after a few hours of leaving the computer off).

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

The reason I want you to boot into Safe Mode is to determine if this is a driver issue.  Safe Mode uses a limited number of drivers and applications.  One driver in particular is the graphics driver, in Safe Mode the graphics driver used is a native driver.  This means that if the graphics driver normally used has a problem this problem will not repeat in Safe Mode.

Please boot into Safe Mode with networking and run it in this mode until you can determine if the problem persists in Safe Mode or not.  Let us know what you find.

#7 woop17

woop17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

Initially upon start-up I noticed the small vertical lines were appearing. After I booted into safe mode, they were still there. To further test that the problem was occuring, I closed the lid of thr laptop for 1-2 minutes, and after opening back up there was a dark gray screen with a faint image of the Windows splash screen appearing (also had vertical lines through it).
I restarted the computer and everything was normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users